Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

"shift delayed, pull forward."

20K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  HLBeef 
#1 ·
Got caught in a pile of snow this morning. Attempted to swith to 4x4 high, but got "shift delayed, pull forward" message. I giggled. I talked to my truck and explained how that if I could "pull forward," I wouldn't need to shift. Fortunately, the truck didn't answer back. :wink[3]:

Figuring that the truck doesn't know whether I'm moving or not, I left it in drive and gave it a little bump in rpms. Still no luck. It finally went into 4x4 when I put it in reverse.

I'm sure there's a technical reason for this, but I'm at a loss. I know the owners manual says that it's best to moving foward at a slow rate of speed when transferring to 4x4 high, but bumping the accelerator for 2 or 3 seconds didn't do the trick.

#3 ·
I have the Sync communication package. My truck talks to me, if it talks back I threaten to fill the DEF with my own urea. That usually does the trick.

"Back when" going to 4x4 was manual, you would pull the lever and sometimes you had to move/rock forward, backwards to get the gears to mesh...get 4x4 and...climb stuff.

Reactions: Work Truck Fanatic
#5 ·
I have the Sync communication package. My truck talks to me, if it talks back I threaten to fill the DEF with my own urea. That usually does the trick.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

#7 ·
nothing is going bad in your truck. The gears on the output shafts must line up in order to mesh. You just caught it (while not moving) out of alignment, which it prompts you to move just a little bit until the gears can mesh.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.