2011 engine braking system - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 04:37 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2011 engine braking system

Needing some info. Looking at buying the new 20011 but really want to know if the engine braking system works. Usually hauling 20,000# down a 7% grade in Colorado. I just want to know if anyone has used it to that extreme and if it really works. Any info is great.
THanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011, 05:25 AM
Premium Member

In my experience, if you use it the way it is supposed to be used, in conjunction with the cruise control, then it works great. I haven't had 20,000 behind me yet, but 14,000 going down 9% it holds the speed within 3 mph of what I have set, and by tapping the decel button you can really feel it working.

There's a thread on here somewhere with a lot of posts about this.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Pulling bobcat (12000lbs) I don't notice a damn thing. Feels the same as my 09 did. Maybe it's just me
Old 02-03-2011, 05:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4506dave View Post
Pulling bobcat (12000lbs) I don't notice a damn thing. Feels the same as my 09 did. Maybe it's just me
I agree with this statement, I do not notice any form of engine braking what so ever. I pull a heavy cargo trailer and boat with ours and I spend a lot of time on roads that are hilly and curvy where cruise control is not a good idea but engine braking is. This system is very weak in my opinion and if you're wanting an engine brake you can have absolute control over then this is not the truck. Test drive all three and pick the right one that fits your needs.

Now with this being said... I love the 6.7 and hands down the best HD trucks I have ever owned even with the let down with the exhaust/engine brake.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have not towed 20K but have a couple of thousand miles at 18K GCVW. The exaust break will hold that load at 45 MPH on a 9% grade with no problem. It is not a "Jake" break that you turn off or on. It is not related to cruse control but is more of a reverse cruse control if you will. For example you "turn it on" by engaging tow/haul like you would with the ON button for the cruse control. You engage by tapping the brake, like you would engage cruse with the SET button. The truck will then use the TCM and variable turbo based exaust restriction to try to maintain that speed. A second application of the break will set a slower speed like the COAST button does for cruse. Application of the throttle will increase the target speed like the ACCEL button does for the cruse.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:11 PM

I agree it does do what you described but I see that as simply down shifting, just like my old Alison did. Down shift, then higher engine RPM with boost (just a couple of pounds) being the byproduct from the higher RPM... I must be really thick in the head but again I do not see this as an exhaust brake, never mind an effect "exhaust brake".

My old Duramax did the same thing and there was no exhaust brake advertised. The TCM and 6 speed works well and love it .. but again I am not feeling any exhaust braking what so ever.

Surely 4506dave and I cannot be the only ones not sold on this "exhaust braking" system.

I give up and I am certainly not going to brag about this option.

Last edited by TW720HVY; 02-03-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:26 AM

id rather a true exhaust break, that i can control manually
Old 02-04-2011, 05:49 AM
Premium Member

You have to remember that diesels, by nature of their design, don't have diddly squat for compression braking, very different from gasoline motors that do. Any braking you're feeling is with assistance of the exhaust brake.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mor4wd View Post
You have to remember that diesels, by nature of their design, don't have diddly squat for compression braking, very different from gasoline motors that do. Any braking you're feeling is with assistance of the exhaust brake.
I see and understand your point. But my '04 GMC Dmax Allison did the same thing when it downshifted and that truck did not have an exhaust brake or so they did not advertise.

As I down shifted in that truck I felt the same thing as I did as I down shifted in a Pete with the "jake" off as I feel when I down shift in my F-350. I understand an exhaust brake to work in a manner that does not require the use of the vehicles brakes.

Exhaust brake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"More performance is usually easily had by down shifting the vehicle (increasing the leverage, or gear ratio of the engine over the wheels)."

Last edited by TW720HVY; 02-04-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Premium Member

I actually called Ford Customer Service to try and get more details on the exhaust brake. I talked to them for 45 mins and they had no more information than what I could find in the manual. Basically nothing. They said that they would have a purchasing agent who knows a lot about these trucks call me, but he never did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.