"Cleaning Exhaust Filter" Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 04:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
"Cleaning Exhaust Filter" Question

I have gotten this message a couple of times and just wondering what is going on.

What causes this message to appear?
What is actually happening (system wise) when it is cleaning the filter?
What happens if it starts cleaning right when you shut down?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 05:57 PM

That's a good question, I was wondering the same thing. What if I am pulling in my driveway and that stupid "cleaning exhaust filter" message come on, am I suppose to just keep driving around the neighborhood till all that raw fuel is burned out of the exhaust system?
Old 01-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have shut down within a minute or so of the light coming on well before the cycle should be complete and just shut down like normal. On the drive after the two times I have done this, the message will reappear and the cycle will begin again when the motor gets up to a decent operating temp (160-190). Not sure if it picks up where it left off, or starts and entirely new cycle... I wish there were an indicator to tell you those sorts of things.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:32 AM
Premium Member

It will restart from the beginning upon shut down and restart, not that it has a beginning, but there is an end. It's based off back pressure in the DPF, once the pressure is above a certain threshold it begins the cleaning and ends when pressure is reduced.

The way it cleans is it injects raw fuel into the exhaust system, which becomes superheated in the DPF, essentially burning the soot out of the system, it's like a Catalytic Converter on steroids.

If it starts right before shut down, nothing happens. Don't let the DPF run your life. It won't cause damage.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:30 AM

Thanks everyone.

So when the message appears it is injecting raw fuel to burn off the soot through the use of an ignition (glow plug) source? Is the DEF part of a different system?
Old 01-31-2011, 11:35 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
it heats up insanely.. that is why the special tips on the exhaust to disperse it, i've seen melted mudflaps galore.. also the DEF is after apparently to cut the NOx even more. im not sure. its all a bunch of crap to me and messes up these trucks in the long run i say DELETE..
Old 01-31-2011, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW720HVY View Post
Thanks everyone.

So when the message appears it is injecting raw fuel to burn off the soot through the use of an ignition (glow plug) source? Is the DEF part of a different system?
No additional ignition source. The DPF is hot enough that it self ignites. The DEF is separate. It is injected directly into the exhaust system after the DPF to further neutralize NoX emissions.

It is all just a big mess to satisfy the people who still believe in global warming along with Al Gore and his buds. Emissions regulation are only going to get more strict in the next couple of years.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:53 PM

Thanks guys... I am still trying to understand this truck's systems.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW720HVY View Post
Thanks guys... I am still trying to understand this truck's systems.
You have a lot of company. I carry the owner's manual around with me.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:06 AM

I'll keep it simple as I can (don't know much more)

You are discussing TWO seperate systems on our trucks.

The OP's original question was about the Diesel Particulate Filter or DPF.

Then, the Diesel Exhaust Fluid - DEF - came into the thread.

Both are smog items required by the government. MANY of us cannot "Delete" either of these and get license plates in our states. Also, deleting the DPF would be very costly in the great reduction your truck would have for trade-in/sale value. The DPF is very, very expensive to replace so a truck without one would be worth far less in states that require them, and that list of states continues to grow. (thanks EPA)

OK, the DPF collects the solid particles that are part of diesel exhaust. You have seen them as black smoke. A stock 6.7 Powerstroke does not blow any black smoke if it is working correctly. The DPF looks like a large muffler with sensor wires coming out the sides (look under your truck). I believe they are made of a honeycomb ceramic stuff.

As the diesel works the DPF collects carbon particles until it "fills up". Sensors tell the computer the DPF needs cleaned and thats when you get the info in your read-out on the dash "cleaning exhaust filter". Extra diesel fuel is introduced into the exhaust flow and burns. This causes the DPF to become very hot (like a self cleaning oven) and burns the collected particles into harmless ash which is blown overboard.

This cleaning cycle lasts up to 20 minutes which include heating up, burning clean and then cooling back down to normal temp. If possible, try to run your truck long enough for the cycle to finish - - but you do not have to do this.

If you shut down before the cleaning cycle finishes, it will begin all over again the next time your truck is at operating temp. If you shut down during a cleaning cycle you will prolly smell the "heat" of the exhaust system as it has not got to the cool down portion of the cycle. Do not touch any part of the exhaust as it will be extremely hot!!

Now, on to the DEF, , , , ,
DEF is injected into the exhaust as the truck runs. The amount injected varies with load, temp and other factors but it is injected most of the time the engine is running. DEF reduces the vapor emissions in the exhaust.

There you have it - - DEF is for vapor control and the DPF collects solids. TWO seperate systems but both are in the exaust plumbing.

I have to say these systems both work well. I can run my truck in the garage and never smell diesel oder. If you watch your mirror while you are at full throttle, you will not see any smoke (unless you are lucky enough to be able to delete these systems).

As far as the cost of the DPF - I'm not sure but I have heard 10 grand!! I do know they are not cheap and you do not want to throw a good one away. I have also heard Ford expects the DPF on our trucks to last at least 100k miles so it is not something that will ding our pockets often. Just don't toss it away in the garbage if you take it off!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.