why choose a 250 over a 350 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
why choose a 250 over a 350

The price difference from the f250 to the 350 diesel pick ups is only about $600.00. If the only thing you get for that money is the ability to pull a trailer I think it is worth it as I don't see much point in the diesel if the truck is never going to pull something. Judging by the #of 250's out there with diesel engines I must be missing something. I realize that the tow rating is similar between the 250 and 350 but the 250 only allows about 2000 lbs payload. The way I see it by the time you load up a bit of gear and your family and install a hitch in the bed of your truck there is almost no payload left to account for the tongue weight of the trailer. So why is there a market for a F250?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 04:20 PM

I think that there is such a market for them is because most people just throw whatever they want in it, hook on too what they want and go. Because you figure I have a big diesel truck so load it up and go. Not very many people look at the weight stuff. If i'm hauling something like gravel or dirt I just fill the bed and go I leave no room. But that is just me. I do understand the point you are making though.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

TheF20 will handle most 5th wheel tongue weights with the passenger load unle34ss you get a big 5th wheel. It sets lower and rides a little bit better. I pull a horse trailer and a 5th wheel RV and it works well for me. The F350 sits higher and will haul more weight,has hydro-boost brake system compared to vacuum-boost for F250. The hydro-boost works off the power steering pump and is supposed to be heavier duty. I always get F250 because of the height(F250 fits in my garage ) and 5th wheel trailer rides level. F250 and F350 have same size bearings and brakes.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:45 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
I don't see much point in the diesel if the truck is never going to pull something.
^^^^^^
Old 01-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Check out the axles on the 250's and 350's...scroll about 42% down...

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/93...nch-event.html
Old 01-29-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CascadeF250 View Post
TheF20 will handle most 5th wheel tongue weights with the passenger load unle34ss you get a big 5th wheel.
I don't doubt that a 250 can "handle" the load of the typical 5th wheel but I would say most 5th wheels will cause the 250 loaded with a family to be over on its GVWR. This would be the numbers I would use:

Family of 5: 650 lbs
B&W turnoverball + Companion hitch 200 lbs
I haul a large BQ and table 100 lbs
misc gear incl tow chains, booster cables, tools etc 150 lbs

Total of 1100 lbs of cargo leaves about 850 lbs for tongue weight - a fifth wheel is to put 15 - 20 % of the gross trailer weight on the tongue. Say 20%. So a very small 5th wheel with a gross trailer weight of 4300 lbs would put you just over Ford's GVWR.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert0 View Post

Exclusive photos of 2011 Super Duty launch event - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Wow. Interesting pictures. I wonder if the locking 3.55 axle on the 250 is different from the locking 3.55 axle on the 350. They may have been showing a comparison of the 3.73 axle on the 350 dually compared to a 3.30 axle on a 250?
Old 01-30-2011, 05:13 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
The two have the same exact engine and honestly can pull the same amount of weight. The problem you get into is if you for some reason get stopped and are over your gross weight rating. The f350 has heavier duty rear springs and taller blocks and you get a higher rating "allowing" you to be able to carry more weight. Plus, and I could be wrong on this, but I believe your vehicle tags are more on the f350's as well, at least here in Cali.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:11 AM

I have a question here, are we talking F250 vs. F350 SRW? Or are we talking the F250 vs. the F350 dually? There is a big difference with the latter.
I have an 08 f350 srw and I feel as though I could have gone with the 250 because of it only lacking 1 leaf in the rear spring packs and a shorter block.
Another factor here is the price for tags, though meager in comparison to the truck. My 350 is about $100 a yr while the 250 is closer to $70 a yr. That's for Ohio at least. That adds up over the years.

FYI the 2011 trucks have a completely different spring pack design than the previous years.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert0 View Post

Exclusive photos of 2011 Super Duty launch event - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
This is a fantastic post, thanks for pointing it out!

As far as the OP, I think it is a personal preference (situation) type thing. It's not much money, so it comes down to whether the upgrades are worth it/needed. It seems like the older I get, the less heavy hauling I do. So, I want the ability to occassionnally play in the big leagues, but most of the time, the brake/suspension/parts upgrades aren't absolutely necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.