Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

why choose a 250 over a 350

7K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  psbill 
#1 ·
The price difference from the f250 to the 350 diesel pick ups is only about $600.00. If the only thing you get for that money is the ability to pull a trailer I think it is worth it as I don't see much point in the diesel if the truck is never going to pull something. Judging by the #of 250's out there with diesel engines I must be missing something. I realize that the tow rating is similar between the 250 and 350 but the 250 only allows about 2000 lbs payload. The way I see it by the time you load up a bit of gear and your family and install a hitch in the bed of your truck there is almost no payload left to account for the tongue weight of the trailer. So why is there a market for a F250?

#2 ·
I think that there is such a market for them is because most people just throw whatever they want in it, hook on too what they want and go. Because you figure I have a big diesel truck so load it up and go. Not very many people look at the weight stuff. If i'm hauling something like gravel or dirt I just fill the bed and go I leave no room. But that is just me. I do understand the point you are making though.

#3 ·
TheF20 will handle most 5th wheel tongue weights with the passenger load unle34ss you get a big 5th wheel. It sets lower and rides a little bit better. I pull a horse trailer and a 5th wheel RV and it works well for me. The F350 sits higher and will haul more weight,has hydro-boost brake system compared to vacuum-boost for F250. The hydro-boost works off the power steering pump and is supposed to be heavier duty. I always get F250 because of the height(F250 fits in my garage ) and 5th wheel trailer rides level. F250 and F350 have same size bearings and brakes.

#6 ·
TheF20 will handle most 5th wheel tongue weights with the passenger load unle34ss you get a big 5th wheel.
I don't doubt that a 250 can "handle" the load of the typical 5th wheel but I would say most 5th wheels will cause the 250 loaded with a family to be over on its GVWR. This would be the numbers I would use:

Family of 5: 650 lbs
B&W turnoverball + Companion hitch 200 lbs
I haul a large BQ and table 100 lbs
misc gear incl tow chains, booster cables, tools etc 150 lbs

Total of 1100 lbs of cargo leaves about 850 lbs for tongue weight - a fifth wheel is to put 15 - 20 % of the gross trailer weight on the tongue. Say 20%. So a very small 5th wheel with a gross trailer weight of 4300 lbs would put you just over Ford's GVWR.

#7 ·
#8 ·
The two have the same exact engine and honestly can pull the same amount of weight. The problem you get into is if you for some reason get stopped and are over your gross weight rating. The f350 has heavier duty rear springs and taller blocks and you get a higher rating "allowing" you to be able to carry more weight. Plus, and I could be wrong on this, but I believe your vehicle tags are more on the f350's as well, at least here in Cali.

#9 ·
I have a question here, are we talking F250 vs. F350 SRW? Or are we talking the F250 vs. the F350 dually? There is a big difference with the latter.
I have an 08 f350 srw and I feel as though I could have gone with the 250 because of it only lacking 1 leaf in the rear spring packs and a shorter block.
Another factor here is the price for tags, though meager in comparison to the truck. My 350 is about $100 a yr while the 250 is closer to $70 a yr. That's for Ohio at least. That adds up over the years.

FYI the 2011 trucks have a completely different spring pack design than the previous years.

#11 ·
I was thinking F350 SRW vs F250. I actually would have gone to the 350 DRW if I could have ordered it with a 3.55 rear end. With the lower speed first gear plus the additional torque of the 6.7 over the 6.4 I am confident I don't need a 3.73 rear end.

#12 ·
My first diesel was an F 350 2 wd, srw, I hauled a lot of loads (3 axle trailer, bumper pull, 8-15k+) usually 40 miles or less, and was impressed by the trucks ability to hook onto about anything, hardly squat if at all, and effortlessly roll. I have had 2 F 250's since. While my towing needs have changed, I usually pull 700-2100 miles, my F 250 would squat under an 8500 lb tt. I would use a leveler, sway bar set up to level it out. After my original diesel, I did not like have to compensate for the 'squat', kinda felt like my truck was not 'comfortable' with that much bumper weight...(true, it was within the load limits)and depending on the load the springs will give... I just like having (personal preference) a vehicle that on a long trip does not need 'help' to perform the task... again (personal preference)...

#14 ·
Tags go by GVWR. If you're over 10,000lbs then you're in a different weight bracket for the DMV and they are going to rape you a little more. They offer the F250 with a 9,900lb GVWR option to get around this, slightly less raping by the DMV, but then you get in trouble if you're over weight.

#15 ·
I Have a 2011 F250 with 10,000 pound rating. If you have trouble with sag Hellwigg has a set of overload springs for around $300.00 that should take care of the problem. Firestone air bags(2535 I believe)for around the same price will also work. My 2001 F250 did not sag pulling a 5th wheel with 1500# tongue weight. I am hoping this one will handle the same weight without sagging. I chose F250 because of the ride height and the comfort. My rear axle has a 6100# rating and has plenty of capacity for additional weight.

#16 ·
Unless you go with a DRW then ride quality shouldn't really factor in. My 2011 F350 SRW rides much better and is 10x more comfortable than my 2008 F250 was.

#19 ·
When I was looking at tow ratings on Ford's site for a CC Lariat 4x4, the 250 showed 12,400 or 12,600 and the SRW 350 was 12,000 flat. Didn't seem to make sense to me.

But as mentioned, most people, at least that I know, get the 250 for slightly softer ride since they tow weekends and not year round.

#20 ·
My 250 has the 10k package and I put the 350 rear block on it. It has a 3:73 rear end and can tow and haul as much as any 350 SRW can. My '99 250 with a Dana 80 4:10 rear end with the heavy service susp package was a hoss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.