Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Backup Lighting, Bed lighting

4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  strokinpower 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed backup lights on these trucks? where is the best place to put them?

Has anyone installed bed lights or toolbox lights?
I was thinking of hooking up some revers lights, bed lights and toolbox lights to one of the aux switches. the stock revers lights are enough for normal use but when I need to backup to a trailer or out of the woods or if I'm just working around my truck at night it would be nice.

This is what I found for the bed/toolbox lights
Flexible LED Strips (Flex Strips) | HID Country

Do y'all recommend any backup lights?

#2 ·
I'm going to mount two 6" lights on the rear. I have made two brackets to bolt on a tube behind the tailgate. The lights will drop down just below the
bumper on each side of the hitch. The brackets also have 6" round plate
behind the lights to serve as some armor. I think they will look pretty good
I 'll put up some pics when when done:nod:

#3 ·
I may be digging this up from the dead but I thought I'd offer some advice when it comes to wiring back up lights. I just this morning wired up the little ones that go in my rear bumper and settled on not running them to an aux switch.

Easiest thing to do is splice into the 7-pin wiring harness for the trailer. The middle circular connector is meant for reverse lights. It's the grey/black wire on the back. Just a simple t-tap into it powered mine right up in reverse.

If you want to run some bed or toolbox lights, which I would like to do eventually, tap into the black wire. Its an aux 12v power and you could install an in-line or pressure switch instead of using the upfitters.

#4 ·
Here's mine below bumper

#7 ·
Yeap jimmy7060 got the right answer.See if "THE MAN" runs my
plate he will see I can legally gross 10,000lbs and will usually say
that guy is ok (no hassle).

#6 ·
A "weighted" license plate is the North Carolina equivalent of a commercial license plate. The vehicle is registered based upon the amount of weight it is going to carry.

Weighted license plates are only good up to 26,000 lbs as long as their not being used across State lines. Then they have to be apportioned.

Also - Twin, I notice your in NC, same here :) im in Fayetteville.

#8 ·
That actually looks really good, maybe I should try and tackle that this weekend.

#9 · (Edited)
Backup lights

I have been using the White
Night back up lights White Night Rear Lighting System, Truck SUV Reverse Lights now for a couple years, Lots of off road miles, and nearly 40K road miles with absolutely no problems. They are great for backing up trailers in the dark as they are designed to shine down at a slight angle which keeps glare down. The mount on the receiver of the hitch, and the stinger passes throughthe light housing and into the reciever. Mounted like the light has alot of protection also.
:thumb:

#11 ·
I dont know if they will fit the new 2.5" Ford hitch, my neighbor had some trouble with his 2011 Dodge Ram. You may need to give them a call and see what is offered. There are several options I am sure.

#12 ·
I used some lo profile lamps for my bumper and for the cargo bed I went with RECON cargo lights. I wired my rear fogs to my "upfitter switch" and wired the cargo lights to the dome light. Check my gallery and you'll see the rear fogs. As for mounting the fogs keep in mind that it gets wet back there so don't spend a fortune on lights and I used tygon straps to mount. The lights are light enough to use the straps and there's nothing to rust!!! Good luck!

#13 ·
i know its not a 2011 but hey its still an idea...these lights are 30 bucks at bass pro and i hard wired them into a switch that came with it, and put in the the truck. they work great!

#17 ·
Sorry bout that. The org. has a lot of geographic chapters. The CPA is Carolina Powerstroke Association. Its guys in this area shootin the breeze. We have get together's(g2g) sometimes. On the home page, scroll all the way down almost to the bottom, you will see a box with all the chapters listed. Just come in and say hello. There are several guys from Rowan and Cabarrus counties:thumb:

#18 ·
I had the White Knights on my '08 and while they were nifty they were the biggest pain in the a$$ ever if you had to change attachments out, it also totally blocked my safety chain hook ups. Now I put on some low profile floods from Northern tool with self tapping screws on the bottom of the Hitch. Love them!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.