Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Supplemental Cab Heater - Current Draw

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Nthorseman 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how much current the Supplemental Cab Heater draws?

I know you need an upgraded alternator but I would like to get a feel for the increased current to help decide on heavy duty versus dual alternators.

Thanks,
Kevin

#2 ·
I went with the heavy duty alternator as two alternators would be a drag on fuel economy. If you order the heater, you have to go heavy duty at least.

#3 ·
Rumor has it that the duals are smart. Both operate when needed, lapses to the lower wattage unit when everything is caught up. The belots will probably be tough to find or replace, but when was the last time you needed to change a belt in an unexpected place?

#4 ·
Even if they are smart alternators, there's going to be rolling resistance isn't there and maybe a longer belt to throw around?

...last time I blew a belt it -40...you'd think at that temperature with the air being so cold entering the engine, it'd take a while to overheat...nope...I had a used spare that I froze my hands putting on.:dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.