DPF Regenerations - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DPF Regenerations

Can someone tell me if the 2011 Powerstroke has a 9th injector in the exhaust for DPF Regeneration or are they still dumping fuel in the cylinder for this. This is contributing to too much fuel in oil dilution and I have gone off the Dodge because of the dilution problems. I know that GM has went to a 9th injector in the exhaust. Good for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

GM is the only one with 9th injector. That is the reason I bought my first non ford truck. I have driven ford trucks for 34 years.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yeah and i may be the only one on this forum with this issue but i actually use my truck as a work truck not a DD and not as a race truck. The 09 chevy i drove couldnt be idled for more than an hour without a trip to dealer in limp mode. their DPF was just way too sensitive. not to mention it couldnt pass a turtle pulling 7k with no acceleration with the same load took forever to get to highway speeds you were screwed if you were in heavy traffic mine only had 16000 miles on it when i ditched the POS but my advice is worth what you paid for it i guess
Old 12-28-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickW2007 View Post
yeah and i may be the only one on this forum with this issue but i actually use my truck as a work truck not a DD and not as a race truck. The 09 chevy i drove couldnt be idled for more than an hour without a trip to dealer in limp mode. their DPF was just way too sensitive. not to mention it couldnt pass a turtle pulling 7k with no acceleration with the same load took forever to get to highway speeds you were screwed if you were in heavy traffic mine only had 16000 miles on it when i ditched the POS but my advice is worth what you paid for it i guess
Yeah I agree. I would not even consider an 08-10 model. The 2011's are different.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:11 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&W 460 XVR View Post
GM is the only one with 9th injector. That is the reason I bought my first non ford truck. I have driven ford trucks for 34 years.
thats is the only reason?
Old 12-28-2010, 07:36 PM

I test drove all 3. GMC dealer gave me the best deal. Seat of the pants, GMC was faster. I have 2 brothers with new dodges, oil change light comes on around 2000 miles,(dipstick reads overfull also). So I was looking for a better design, the 9th injector made sense to me. I wanted the cooled seats and a Denali is the only GM to offer it.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:14 PM

20111 superduty has avalible cooled seats . oil dillution is not as big a factor in engine damage as you would think . If you change to oil at the prescribed intervals it has no affect on the avarage engine life span . Thats been proven by real world testing and bench testing .
Old 12-29-2010, 03:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

S&W 460 XVR, thank you for the information on the 9th injector. Sportsman500, I realize that some fuel dilution happens in diesel engines but the amount that I'm hearing about now is very concerning. I understand that regenerations are geared toward your driving style and can cause regenerations pretty often. But having to change your oil at 2K miles if you let it idle too long or just doing stop and go city driving is ridiculous. What kind of engineering is this when we are going backwards with technology. Are we trying to make the arabs and oil industry even richer with increased fuel consumption and oil changes? I just want a truck that I can take a trip pulling my camper and enjoying the vacation without having to constantly figure out where I'm going to get an oil change because I'm so worried about fuel dilution or the truck turns off or whatever. Since we are having to pay big bucks to test the truck manufacturer's systems, I want to at least make an educated decision about the system that might get me further down the road. Thanks again.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:56 AM

We have a fleet of 11' f550 the power company bought here in april and may . I have to tell you they ilde a lot , hardly ever leave town . They have never had an oil change at 2000 miles , These units have close to 50000 miles on them now . I have yet to see any 11' need an oil change at 2000 miles due to dilution. I think you need to read up more on how regn works .Regen is not performed under idle conditions . The whole point of regen is to clear the soot buildup in the dpf (cat) so it doesnt clog causeing a performance concern , the heaveir you the soot buildup the more need for regen . however idiling is not going to cause exssive regnration . Idling in prevouis engines would create carbonbuildup that would plug the egr passages leading to poor running condition . Two completely seprate concerns .

plus in all the 2001 we have ever had come though our doors here i've never seen an oil change as low as 2000 , most are around the 5000-7500 mark , oil growth has been marginal at bes , les than a 16 of an inch . nowhere near the 1 above the full mark allowance of the 6.4

Last edited by sportsman500; 12-29-2010 at 05:01 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sportsman500, yes you are correct I do need to read up more on how regenerations work. That's why I'm trying to find information on the new systems and how they work. I guess my main concern with the regenerations is finding a system that doesn't dump excess fuel in the cylinders for the regens that seem to contribute to fuel dilution. As far as 2K mile oil changes, I'm hearing that more on the Dodge side. Seems we have 3 different systems available now and trying to see which one is the best. I'm still researching, but Government Motors seem to be going the right way. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.