How does the exhaust brake work - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How does the exhaust brake work

I have read the owners manual and still don't fully understand how the exhaust brake works. Is back pressure built due to the turbo vane angle changing? If you tap the brakes to get it to apply, then want it to come open, do you tap the throttle? Does tapping the brakes once apply some braking; tapping twice - a little more; three times more yet? If the exhaust brake is on and holding back and you switch out of tow haul does the brake open up again?

Last edited by 4x4ord; 12-30-2010 at 06:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Bump.... bump
Old 12-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I played with mine today on a 200 mile trip and didn't notice a damn thing. Both with sound as well as my "superb" sense of feel
Old 12-30-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4506dave View Post
I played with mine today on a 200 mile trip and didn't notice a damn thing. Both with sound as well as my "superb" sense of feel
That is funny as hell!!!!
Old 12-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I finally towed my 5th wheel (18K lb Tow Hauler) and used the exhaust brake feature with the tow haul mode. I was following a buddy with a 2011 Chevy 3500HD down the Cajon Pass and found that the my 2011 F-350 (Lariat CC, 4X4, DRW) was far better than my 06 F-250 but I did have to touch the brakes 4 times to stay at 55 MPH. The driver of the Chevy did not use the brakes once going down the grade but his 5th wheel weighs 3K lbs less than mine. My guess is the Chevy system is better than the Ford system but none the less I am was very pleased with the overall performance of the truck. Compared to the my old truck, I was able to go up the pass 20 to 25 MPH faster without my foot burried in the floor. THE NEW TRUCK ROCKS!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the post. The Chevy with 3.73 gears and a much high 2nd gear (1.81:1 as opposed to Ford's 2nd gear of 2.32:1) down shifts into 2nd at about 57 mph. You were likely coming down in 3rd. (1.52:1). I believe the Ford would likely shine on a grade where a slower speed is desired to get the truck to make the shift into second. I pull through the rockies with a 16000# trailer in tow and have found with my old 2003 Duramax and no exhaust brake that I had to manually shift the truck into low gear and watch the engine rev right to 5000 rpm for about 10 miles on the Kootenay pass in Canada. I expect the new Ford will be much superior to that. I would like to know exactly what the driver could do to influence the exhaust brake's functionality.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Premium Member

The exhaust brake works extremely well in conjunction with the Cruise Control. It does help a little with tow/haul on and just using the brakes but if you set the cruise at 65mph my truck maintains that speed even going down 9% grades with 10,000lbs. Try using the cruise.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:31 AM

Do you have 3:55 rear end and 20" wheels? If so you would have had the engine revs at about 3460 in 3rd gear at 65 mph. I wonder if you had set your cruise on 55 mph if the truck would have still held or if it would have sped up until it got enough rpm to hold back. With the 3.55 axle and 20" wheels the truck would downshift to second at about 50mph. I won't have a chance to experiment with mine for a few weeks yet.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:07 PM

Thumbs down I do not think I have an exhaust brake

I do not think I have an exhaust brake.

I was pulling my work trailer which wasn't to terribly heavy yesterday with the truck in tow/haul mode. I was able to go down a hill with no one in front of me (55mph) and the truck accelerated about 10 mph and at no time did I ever feel resistance.

There were two other hills that I was on and the same thing happened. One had a lot of curves and nothing was felt other than every time touched the brake the trans down shifted which was nice, but again no engine brake and braking was needed if I wanted to maintain the speed.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW720HVY View Post
I do not think I have an exhaust brake.

I was pulling my work trailer which wasn't to terribly heavy yesterday with the truck in tow/haul mode. I was able to go down a hill with no one in front of me (55mph) and the truck accelerated about 10 mph and at no time did I ever feel resistance.

There were two other hills that I was on and the same thing happened. One had a lot of curves and nothing was felt other than every time touched the brake the trans down shifted which was nice, but again no engine brake and braking was needed if I wanted to maintain the speed.

Were you using your cruise control?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.