Solutions to flash issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 06:19 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Solutions to flash issues

Has anyone heard anything about the flash us job 1 guys got? When they first came out there seemed to be a lot of mixed reviews of 'this is awesome' and 'the flash made my truck shift rough and get worse fuel mileage'. My dealer even joked that I might not have wanted to get the flash (mind you after they flashed it). I assumed the guys reporting the worse mileage were just overenjoying the new torque and HP. It all seems to have died down now but what happned to all of the unhappy job 1 owners who got the flash? Is there something new out there? I read a thread about a TSB that is out there but the dealer I just visited didn't think it fit my truck. Since the flash I have gone from about 17-18 MPG mixed driving on my regular work route and 18-19 on the highway to now getting 15-17 mixed and 17-18 highway at best when babying the truck. I used to be able to drive the truck pretty hard (enjoying it) and get those numbers. I assume some of it was the switch from summer to winter blend diesel which was right around the time I got the flash and the cold weather (my normal drive doesn't let the engine get to full op temp in the colder months) But I am also having some shifting issues. It has a rough shift from 2-3 or 3-4, not real sure because it doesn't happen all the time but the one that concerns me is I have noticed that if I am comming up to a red light at like 45-55 and let off the pedal and coast and then the light turns green before I stop and just touching the pedal again it sometimes down shifts pretty far, second maybe and then revs real high and then it seems to catch up. All of this since the flash. Anyways, just wondering why this quieted down so quick.... any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 05:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I can't complain about my reflash.

I see around a .3 or .4 mpg increase which is not much, but better. The trans flash was an improvement as well but there is a lot of room to improve still. I don't notice the extra power that much, even when towing.

I would like to see 1st gear not used in the normal shift position but turned on for the towing position. The 1 to 2 shift is a tire eater when empty. That shift always happens when you turn out onto a street from a stop and it always slips the tires no matter how easy you try to take off. It would be nice if we could select whether or not to use 1st.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowdoc View Post
I can't complain about my reflash.

I see around a .3 or .4 mpg increase which is not much, but better. The trans flash was an improvement as well but there is a lot of room to improve still. I don't notice the extra power that much, even when towing.

I would like to see 1st gear not used in the normal shift position but turned on for the towing position. The 1 to 2 shift is a tire eater when empty. That shift always happens when you turn out onto a street from a stop and it always slips the tires no matter how easy you try to take off. It would be nice if we could select whether or not to use 1st.
Want to tell that last part to my wife, she doesn't believe me ;-)
Old 12-08-2010, 02:09 PM

I figure she doesn't believe you because of all those lies you told her when you were dating!!! You could let her drive the truck and see for herself but that could risk losing the truck to her. I made that mistake with my H2 Hummer - once the wife drove it, I had to lift it 6" and take the steps off to get it back!!!

Good Luck
mowdoc
Old 12-08-2010, 05:26 PM

Some guys I work with had the flash done and they noticed the shifting to be better from 1st to 2nd and also a little better mileage. There is one difference though. Two of them had it done at one dealer and now when they are in drive it shows them what gear the truck is in on the message center. The 3rd guy had his done at a different dealer and his truck doesn't show the gears in the message center.

Not sure what the difference would be unless the dealer for the 3rd guys truck didn't use the right flash or used a different one.

Do you guys see the gears in the message center when in drive?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Tell him to push the up button on the shifter when it's in the drive position. You can turn that feature on and off.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:51 PM

Thanks I'll let him know.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:05 PM

Better performance for me since flash. No issues.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11PSD View Post
Since the flash I have gone from about 17-18 MPG mixed driving on my regular work route and 18-19 on the highway to now getting 15-17 mixed and 17-18 highway at best when babying the truck.
I have the same issue since I got my truck flashed to 400/800.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

same for me - i had my reflash for several months now and no issues to date...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.