Ordered 4 trucks, 1 came in odd - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ordered 4 trucks, 1 came in odd

In our order of 4 new F350 4x4 6.7L PSD trucks...3 had the DEF tank mounted outboard the frame...and 1 had it inboard the frame rail. Naturally the dump bed hydraulics cannot be mounted on that truck, so the DEF tank has got to be moved.

I have no idea how this happened. Our dealer said they didn't specify and were not aware that was even an option. At least the Ford ordering software did not prompt for any options. It did on the fuel tank, but they were all OK on that and the same.

The truck upfitter will not touch the DEF tank, so we have to return it to the dealer. And the dealer said they couldn't get an answer after a few days from Ford.

Hopefully it can just be moved on the opposite side of the frame and the hoses, wires will still hook up. Maybe there is some slack in them for that. The upfitter said the holes are all there for outboard mounting like the other trucks...but its just mounted differently. On the other hand...I don't expect this and it will probably turn out to be a nightmare, a few weeks delay, a bunch of parts that need ordered and disagreement between us and the dealer of who should have to pay for this error. I'm being negative here I know. But this is how it usually goes.

Our only defense is that it was clear that these trucks were to be upfitted with 10' stainless dump bodies. And therefore, they should have been provided with provisions allowing such. WE do not make the order nor deliver the trucks. That is out of our control. And we already paid the bill in full.

I guess this could serve as a heads up for anyone ordering new trucks and need the DEF tank in a specific location.

Last edited by neil; 12-07-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010, 08:01 AM

Seems to me that theres no way the dealer or ford can pin this on you???
Old 12-07-2010, 08:51 AM

Yep. The dealer simply doesn't know why this happened...cause they were all the same build specs from their end. And they called Ford factory for answers...and haven't heard anything back for a few days.

Maybe the tanks can install on both sides of the frame...and the lines and wires reach equally well on either side. Then perhaps the guy on the line was switched during a shift change and he liked inboard better. Just kidding of course...but maybe.

Anyhow I remember taking a good look at the first three we picked up and checking out the DEF tanks...just to see what was what and how it worked.

Then I remember looking at the DEF tank on the forth but it didn't click that it was inboard and the others weren't. So we missed it before delivering it to the body upfitter. Not that it would have made a difference. We wouldn't have even known if it was going to make a difference on these 84" cab-axle chassis.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Shaking the Bush Boss

Always something!
When I was employeed by Freightliner LLC, I worked at the assembly plant in Cleveland NC. Even running 3 shifts on 2 lines, I could look over 6 trucks and just about with 95% accuracy, tell you which line and shift it came from. Thats one of thier biggest problems, consistincey. It always boiled down to communication failure, I was trained to do it this way, and didnt know it was supposed to be different. Dont get me wrong, we had employees that would do it their way, no matter what you told them.
Had a fleet of 102 trucks that a harness was supposed to be run down the right side rail, instead of the left (normal)....87(?) trucks went by without anyone knowing, the harness had to be pulled out and rerouted before it left for the dealership.....
Old 12-08-2010, 06:16 AM

In my own research, here's what I discovered.

Outside the frame-passenger side DEF tank mounting is standard on MY2011 chassis cabs.

When a customer orders the rear (aft-axle) diesel fuel tank only...there is an option to move the DEF tank to where the midship diesel tank would normally be...which is between the frame - driver side.

Well...we wanted rear fuel tank only...but did not request midship - center mounting of the DEF tank. But thats how it showed up. Supposedly called a JOB1 order when you do this.

Now the kicker is Ford makes a kit to move the tank from outboard TO inboard between the frame. BUT not a kit to move it back to the standard outboard position. Go figure. Since there is heated lines, sensors etc etc...a home made move isn't really possible without the fear of messing up the DEF system and setting codes. And voiding the warranty. So its going back to the dealership. We're not touching it.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckBBAS...1-29-10-kt.pdf
Old 12-08-2010, 06:57 AM

Now its clear what happened. The dealership called and said that Ford Motor Company "changed" or "redefined" the definition of Job1 and Job2 builds on a particular date in November 2010. This date happened to fall between the #3 and #4 truck we ordered. The QVM publication I had obviously was nearly a year old by November 2010.

So the new standard is that outboard mounting is no longer standard on all trucks. IF the truck is ordered with rear only diesel tank...it WILL get inboard midship DEF tank mounting standard.

So this explains the difference in the 1 truck versus the other 3. Neither we or the dealer changed anything...FoMoCo did.

So now were looking at having the dealer perhaps move it forward, or to the outside on the driver side using the existing lines, wires. Cause we still don't believe there is a retro fit kit.

Basically we'll do whatever we need to get these dump beds on there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.