Thinking of going diesel but... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 03:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking of going diesel but...

Hello:

New to powestroke.org, new to diesel.

I am thinking of picking up a 2011 F-250 and I am torn between the Scorpion and the new 6.2L V8. I was talking to a very knowledgeable friend who stated that he would never get the diesel. Why?

1) Because in the cold you have to plug it in or the truck has a terrible time starting (we are in NJ, today was 35F, felt like 20-something with the wind chill)

2) It takes forever to get heat in the truck. Driving around town around idle never gets the engine hot enough to generate loads of heat.

3) Diesel is just dirty. Over time, you still start to see a lot of soot and the motor will begin to smell (in the cabin as well).

Obviously his experiences are from the 6.7L motor. Example, a friend has a F-350 and he claims it takes 20-30 miles before he feels anything remotely like heat! Also he has to plug his in constantly in the winter or the truck has a hard time starting (I live in a condo so plugging in will be difficult though I suppose I could use an inverter).

Suggestions?

Why I am thinking of getting the diesel? 800 lb-fts of torque! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Premium Member

All I can say is your friend is so, so wrong.

1. Ford doesn't recommend plugging the truck in until it's -10* outside. It will help it to heat up in the morning but it's not required. My 6.4 started up instantly, like it was 70*, when it was really -32* and I had forgotten to plug it in.

2. The 6.7 heats up faster than any diesel I've had so far, but, if you're worried about it, get the Rapid Supplemental Heater. It's a $250 factory option and put's out instant heat, using an electric heater. It then turns that off when the truck warms up. You're truck would be cranking out hot air long before any gas motor would.

3. Research Diesel. It's actually cleaner and better for the environment than gasoline is. The 6.7 has absolutely no smell whatsoever from the tailpipe. If you're getting diesel smell in the cab, then you're probably driving an older truck with some leaks on it, not a 6.7 or a 6.4 or a 6.0, but maybe a 7.3.

Bottom line. Don't listen to you're friend. Go diesel and you'll never look back and you'll be leaving all the gas motors in the dust.

PS
I don't plug my truck in. It's been between 0 and 15 at night. I get heat within 5 minutes of driving nicely, but I get warm seats when I get in it so it doesn't really bother me to be without warm air as long as my back side is on the toaster. Ford really improved the warm up time on the 6.7 by putting a hot side EGR valve.

Last edited by mor4wd; 12-05-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:17 PM

Do you have any issues finding gas stations in rural areas? I live in NJ and though I have like 3 stations within 5 miles of me (literally, Raceway, Hess, and Shell), but I was worried on road trips I would have a hard time finding diesel (but then again, why do 18 wheelers do?)

Do you use any winterizer at all though?
Old 12-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Your friend is a MOOOOOOOOOOROOOOONNNNNNNNN!!!!!!! not one of his theorys is close to being correct. Going diesel is the best thing i have ever done!!!!
Old 12-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cconnell View Post
Your friend is a MOOOOOOOOOOROOOOONNNNNNNNN!!!!!!! not one of his theorys is close to being correct. Going diesel is the best thing i have ever done!!!!
Yea. Your buddies way off. Am I reading this wrong, he HAS a 6.7 and these are his experiances. hmmmm, thats nuts.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:28 PM

What is the price difference between gas and diesel? How many MPG on the gas motor?
Old 12-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

I travel the country for work every 6 months or so. Get a lot of windshield time. I've never had a problem finding diesel. Actually the hardest place to find diesel, is in a big city.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookset View Post
Yea. Your buddies way off. Am I reading this wrong, he HAS a 6.7 and these are his experiances. hmmmm, thats nuts.
Friend has the 6.7, he has the 5.4 Triton which is a solid motor though a tad anemic compared to Dodge, Chevy and even Toyota.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary2070 View Post
What is the price difference between gas and diesel? How many MPG on the gas motor?
Right now, the Scorpi....wait a Cheve Traverse commercial in the post banner...odd....

Anyway the Scorpion is a 7k option. The gas is about 21 mpg, the diesel frankly is about the same.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:47 PM

I don't think you will get 21 mpg out of that gas motor in a 3/4 ton. You have to consider that diesel is going to last you a lot longer than that gas motor will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.