Winter Fuel Additives - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Winter Fuel Additives

I know with our old Duramax the type of fuel additive for anti-gelling was a sticky subject. There was an extensive test done comparing several additives and their characteristics. I attached the file for those that may not have seen it.

I know that GM was supposedly very picky about fuel additives and their injector warranty. Does anyone know what Ford says about additives and the 6.7? Do we even need additive in this truck? I dealt with fuel gelling in our 7.3 and that was NO FUN AT ALL! Any information would be great.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Copy of Diesel fuel additive version 3.pdf (130.7 KB, 70 views)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I use Power Services anti gel. We live in Colorado at 8800'. Last week it was -16; my 7.3 went to the shop on a tow truck, while my new 6.7 started like it was in Miami. I am still going to use the anti gel until someone convinces me I don't need it.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:24 AM
Premium Member

The manual states that you can use fuel additives from reputable companies, or something like that. I at least know it does say that you can use non-Motorcraft brands, although it does recommend them. I've used Power Services in all my trucks, gray in the summer and white in the winter. As a matter of fact my local farm supply store had the gallon bottles on sale for $9.99, bought a whole case.

IMO, you never know if somebody screwed up and sent the summer blend fuel to the station when it's -10* outside, and then you're stuck with gelled fuel the next morning. Better safe than sorry.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:01 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I have been using the Opti-Lub XPD in the Duramax but the truck ran a little funny when I used it. After owning a Duramax it worries me to put anything in my tank.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Dont worry you're in a now. haha.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:12 AM

I've had good luck with diesel kleen.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:26 AM

Since this 2011 is my very first diesel truck, I apologize if this is a question that almost everyone knows..........except me! I live in Knoxville, TN area and it obviously doesn't get as cold here as it does in lets say........Wyoming. So, at what temperatures should I start getting concerned about the fuel gelling in my truck tank and needing to add something to keep that from happening. We have some 20's and teens and once in while it will get in the single digits. I've been here a little over 4 years and have never seen the temps drop below about 5 degrees, but that is kind of rare.

Actually, I have another rookie question. What is the cetone additive for and why would I need it.

Thanks in advance.

Vern

Last edited by xxrated; 12-04-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:42 AM

In Phoenix high 20s lowest if forecast is for a hard frizz then I may also go put in the white bottle Diesel Kleen as required by the fuel in the tank

This time of year if heading north will then treat as required when I go
Old 12-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I live in Wyoming and my truck has started to -10 without even being plugged in. I did not run additives last year but I am running Opti-Lube this year. I would think that living in TN you should never have an issue.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Premium Member

I run the white bottle when temps are dipping below 20* at night, it won't hurt your engine to run it in warmer weather though. I don't think Tennessee ever uses a winter blend fuel at the station, but next time you're there ask the attendant if it's a winter blend diesel.

Cetane is the equivalent of what an octane rating is for gasoline. The gray bottle boosts cetane about 8 numbers which improves mileage by burning more thoroughly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.