Ride potential - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 05:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ride potential

I have severe back problems, and these become worse when ridings in a stiff riding truck. Since my truck has the Lariet pakcage on the inside the seats are very nice, but being a 3/4 ton the ride can be stiff and a little rough at times. What I'm thinking of are air bag suspension on the rear. Why only rear on might ask, and I answere because I'm conservative. There is plent of weight on the front, but the back is light and the softer suspension there would be off most help to the ride. At least, in my mind. Any comments or suggestions? I have the partial fx4 package and wonder if the shocks are stiffer on my package, perhaps this is all I need to change?

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have airbags on mine, it won't help make the ride softer when you're empty...they do help a lot with a heavy load to reduce the recoil and compression of a bumpy road.....dodge has the option of reducing the air pressure in the rear tires to 45 lbs and not set off the tps...but ford does not....i reduce the tire pressure on mine when i'm empty, everything works fine....i get the warning whenever i start the engine, but i just press reset on the dash and forget it..
Old 12-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

air bags will make it ride worse. your best bet would be to 4 link your rear end and do coil overs. thats about the best your going to do. you could also take a spring or 2 off the pack and have em re-arched and see what that does ya. i dont know how many springs the super dutys have on the rear packs. if there is only 4 leaves, only remove 1 on each side
Old 12-03-2010, 08:31 PM

I have a set of rear Bilsteins coming monday and I'll let you know.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:10 PM

I have had a few issues with my back, running the heated seats(increases blood flow/circulation), and a little lumbar has made a huge difference. A little off your post, a buddy has had issues also, since running heated seats he swears by em... good luck
Old 12-05-2010, 06:12 AM

I run the air conditioning on my seats, most times. Ice does me a lot of good when I'm at home. I do also run the heat when I feel it helps. Both are a godsend, but nothing cures my back problem.
I went to Louisville yesterday, pulling my car trailer, running at or between 65 and 70. Fuel mileage droped like a stone. On the way back, filled up and ran interstate nearly all the way. Verying speeds tosee if things got better or worse. If, I drove 50 to 55 it went up to about 14.1 mpg, at 60 to 65 about 13.9 and did not seem tomake it much worse when going 70. On the way back, I had a cab, bed and front end on the trailer. I also had two hoods, and two bumpers in the bed of the truck. The parts were form a 66 shortbed.
I was stove up by the time I got home from driving 6 hours plus adn loading up parts.

Rich
Old 12-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

New Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64 f100 View Post
I have severe back problems, and these become worse when ridings in a stiff riding truck. Since my truck has the Lariet pakcage on the inside the seats are very nice, but being a 3/4 ton the ride can be stiff and a little rough at times. What I'm thinking of are air bag suspension on the rear. Why only rear on might ask, and I answere because I'm conservative. There is plent of weight on the front, but the back is light and the softer suspension there would be off most help to the ride. At least, in my mind. Any comments or suggestions? I have the partial fx4 package and wonder if the shocks are stiffer on my package, perhaps this is all I need to change?

Rich
====================================

I have summarily back problems and my new truck came with Continental Tires which are very stiff tires and felt every bump. I just installed a set of new Michelin M/S tires.. Now the ride is greatly improved and much more enjoyable ride. I now have 4750 miles on my F-250 4X2 Truck. I bought my new set of tires from "Discount Tire" because they will let you try them out for a few days and see if you like them... I have used Michelin Tires for years on my Trucks without any problems, must of my driving in Hwy driving... With Michelin's you have to drive them for a few days to soften them up, they just keep getting better as I put miles on them:....icon_ford:
Thanks
Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.