OEM Tires - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OEM Tires

My 2011 came with Continental Contirac TR in LT 275 70R18. I've recently had experience with snow with my truck and I am appalled at the traction that tire gives. My rear tires simply spin. I need 4wd often. The other day I needed 4wd to back out at an outdoor parking lot. It was on flat ground on packed snow. We had a chinook that softened the hard pack, but I really should not need 4wd in that situation.

Just a word to the wise. If you buy the truck, and it comes with those tires, you may want to consider changing them to something that is reasonable. I suppose it will be fine as a summer highway tire, but I certainly will not replace it with the same once they wear out.

I recently came across a review of this tire at tirerack.com:
Continental ContiTrac TR

Another thing you may want to look into ; it seems to be a rather difficult tire size to get tires in. I wanted to get Bridgestone Blizzaks for winter tires since I am really a fan of those tires on both my VW Jetta and my 97 F250. Sadly, I cannot get the tires on an 18" rim, but can with a 17 rim (265 70 R17 iirc), but they are not the same circumference. I've not decided yet, but I'm unlikely to move to those. At the moment, I am probably more inclined to buy an AT and use that for winter use.

I know alot of people change the tire size dramatically, but I'd be curious to find out if anyone else has found a good tire in the factory size that performs well on snow & ice.

Regards,

Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2010, 06:51 PM
First 6.7 PS Destroyer

Sound like you need some Terra Grapplers. I used them last winter and never needed 4x4. My truck came with the Michelins and I like them pretty good but, I'm biased, I'm a Michelin man.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Lots of different tyres are available in 275/70/18, here are 5 different winter ones off the top of my head that come in 275/70/18:

Toyo Open Country WLT1

Toyo Open Country G-02 plus

Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT

Firestone Winterforce LT

Cooper Discoverer M+S

As well as various other "pure winter tyres" that come as private label or store brands and then you go to the all season tyres with a snowflake rating (GY Duratrac/Silent Armour etc.).
Old 11-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Terra Grapplers are ok when they are new but In my experiance you will get horrible wear. I have had 2 sets in the past and didnt get more than 20K before they were almost bald.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:30 PM

x2 with the terra grapplers they are good if you want to buy a set every winter
Old 11-27-2010, 07:27 PM

ok..ok... I really like traction.. I also tow intermittantly... which tire with great traction also has 10 ply....

last year worked a heavy snow area, put studded tires all the way around...worked real good, I carry a good sized chain, snapped a 2' tree that snow load put across the highway using low 4x4...had a blast rolling in snow n ice...
Old 11-29-2010, 05:38 PM

I had a set of goodyear silent armmor pros on my X. I have that same continentals on my rig right now. I can't wait to get a new set of those once these wear out. They have the snow rating on them and the pro series have a hell of a weight rating per tire. I loved mine. I am a Michillen man but those tires changed me over for a quiet, smooth ride that was great for towing and gripped like chains!
Old 11-30-2010, 10:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I put some Goodyear Ice Grip WRT tires on my truck today, and had them studded. I'll be picking it up tonight and it can only get better. I have acquired a real hate for continental tires now . I plan to put on Michelin LXT M/S2 as highway 3 season tires and just sell those OEM Continentals.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselHamster View Post
I put some Goodyear Ice Grip WRT tires on my truck today, and had them studded. I'll be picking it up tonight and it can only get better. I have acquired a real hate for continental tires now . I plan to put on Michelin LXT M/S2 as highway 3 season tires and just sell those OEM Continentals.
I would not expect to get more than $100 for them on Kijji etc. unless the market in Calgary for the Crapinental's is a whole bunch different than Edmonton's. We have been running them for trailer tyres because they are both so cheap to pick up and the ones we had were basically unsellable.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:11 PM

I had the Michelins Ltx 20's on mine and I think they are a sorry tire 7000 miles and still couldnt get them balanced right so I spent 1600 on some toyos rides better just a small amount of noise on the open country mt's, buddy has a dodge and has had the same prob with the michelins on his, toyo for me from now on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.