Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Ford 5th Wheel Prep Package for SB

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Superduty123 
#1 ·
With Job2 Ford has released the 5th wheel hitch for the Shortbed

I wanted to add it to my order but the dealer is telling me not to as it is only good if you buy a Ford Specific 5th wheel hitch

I don't have a 5th yet, only thinking about getting one. But the prep package seemed like a good idea with the bracing bar they put underneath

For those of you who do ahve a 5th wheel, or the Long bed with the prep package, is it worth it?

#2 ·
Most definitely worth it!! I love it!! I did buy the Ford hitch and love it too!! But you DO NOT have to use the Ford hitch with it. The hitch AND the rail kit under the bed are BOTH made by Reese. So, you can get a Reese signature hitch and a mounting kit so it works with the prep package. That would probably cost about half of the Ford/Reese hitch. I hear they are hard to find right now, but I don't know for sure.

I worked the Ford hitch in as part of the deal on my truck and got it for $1200 (normally about $2800). Even if you don't end up getting a 5er, the prep package would certainly add to the resale value of your truck

It is a massive heavy duty hitch. Here's mine installed.

Mark

#5 ·
Yes, the bed is flat with the hole covers in place. The one in the middle is for the gooseneck ball, and the four for the 5er hitch look the same only smaller.

To mount, just stab the four corner posts in the holes, then there are four "arms" on the bottom of the hitch that turn outward to lock it in place.

Maybe this will explain better than me. LINK

Mark

#6 ·
If you plan on towing a 5th wheel or goose neck I absolutely would at least order the prep package.

As mentioned above, it is a Reese mount, of which many hitches will fit.

I'm planning on a Trailer Saver hitch for my truck. Here is a video showing how it mounts. Other hitches will be similar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.