Upgrade to 6.7L? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 03:59 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upgrade to 6.7L?

Hey all,

I have been searching and searching for something to tell me what to do.

I have an 09 F-350 SRW 6.4L crew cab 4x4 cabela's edition. I think it has the 4.10 gears in it (it came with the 20" rims so its a 3.73 ratio).

I get horrible fuel mileage and I can totally feel a 6000lb v-nose enclosed trailer behind me, I would almost say it feels like a gas truck

Running empty I am at best getting 15mpg and pulling my trailer I'm seeing at worst 8mpg.

I will be bringing my truck back to get it checked out for its absolutely horride fuel mileage (a combined 22L/100km for the past 10,000km and thats mostly empty highway running at 110-120km/hr). I am at 33,000km and fully stock.

I wanted the forums opinion tho, should I:
1. Kill my warrenty and go for the dpf delete with a chip.
or
2. Man up the extra coin and buy a '11 with the same options.

I am able to get away with not a huuuge loss by selling private. It would be about a 10-15% increase in order to upgrade.

Anyone that has/had the dpf delete and chip able to chime in? or even better someone that had the chip and moved up to a '11?

Thanks so much guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 04:18 PM

Tough choice. I like warranty so I would try and get the 2011.

BUT H&S and others have made huge power with the 6.4l... You already own it and it won't take too much $$ to make alot more power than a stock 6.7L.

Never drove a chipped 6.4 long enough to notice mileage so someone that owns(ed) one can maybe chime in...

Just my .02...
Old 10-19-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Tough choice. I like warranty so I would try and get the 2011.

BUT H&S and others have made huge power with the 6.4l... You already own it and it won't take too much $$ to make alot more power than a stock 6.7L.

Never drove a chipped 6.4 long enough to notice mileage so someone that owns(ed) one can maybe chime in...

Just my .02...
Thanks for the reply dakster

I'm not specifically interested in power, I actually drive my truck like a baby, althouh I am VERY interested in good mileage and good towing mileage.... But the sometimes hard part is I require reliability too
I'm leaning to the '11, cost and the fact that it's a year1 engine is holding me to think on upgrading mine
Old 10-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Tough call, I personally would not be comfortable with voiding my warranty, on such an expensive truck. I would maybe go drive a new 6.7 and see what you think, there are a lot of nice upgrades. Might also want to do it before yours starts to depreciate more than it already has. Again it's a tough call. I would probably buy the 6.7. Maybe someone that went from a 6.4 to a 6.7 can help.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:27 PM

15 MPG isn't that bad in my opinion???

And your truck probably has 3.73 gears, not 4.10s.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabadf250 View Post
15 MPG isn't that bad in my opinion???

And your truck probably has 3.73 gears, not 4.10s.
15mpg as the best fuel economy isn't that bad?
Maybe it's just me having a skewed sense about it... I thought it was, don't forget tho that 15 is flat land and not hot out with not much wind and an empty truck running at 110 km/hr

About the rear end: I could be wrong there but I'm pretty sure when you bought the fords with stock tires(18") they had a 3.73, but if you went to 20" they put 4.10 in there.
In any case, with the 4.10 I should definitely not be bothered by the power output when towing my small trailer... And if it's a 3.73 then I should be seeing better fuel economy.

Still hoping for some ppl to post, but I will definitely be going to my dealer and hope for warrenty to see something, if not it's probably off to see the 2011's
Old 10-20-2010, 09:29 AM

I have a 6.4l with the mods in my sig, and I have driven the new 6.7l a good bit. I really like the new truck don't get me wrong, but I'm am so overwhelmingly impressed with my tuned 6.4l that I would never be able to justify the cost of the 6.7l. The mileage gains that I have seen will pay me back for what I spent on my performance setup, it's a great deal in my opinion. Over the life of the truck doing the tuning and dpf delete will pay me back ten fold.

Also I bought my truck new on the first of may and tuned it three months after, but from what I have seen on the 6.4l the only stuff you need the warranty for is on the stuff you remove with the deletes.

P.s. I was also seeing much worse mileage than you though, about 8 mpg towing and 11-12 when empty. That was all hand calculated too.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokedub View Post
I have a 6.4l with the mods in my sig, and I have driven the new 6.7l a good bit. I really like the new truck don't get me wrong, but I'm am so overwhelmingly impressed with my tuned 6.4l that I would never be able to justify the cost of the 6.7l. The mileage gains that I have seen will pay me back for what I spent on my performance setup, it's a great deal in my opinion. Over the life of the truck doing the tuning and dpf delete will pay me back ten fold.

Also I bought my truck new on the first of may and tuned it three months after, but from what I have seen on the 6.4l the only stuff you need the warranty for is on the stuff you remove with the deletes.

P.s. I was also seeing much worse mileage than you though, about 8 mpg towing and 11-12 when empty. That was all hand calculated too.

This is good info

What are you seeing now for mpg (or better yet l/100km since that can't be converted wrong)?
And power wise? I know it will be more... How was your truck stock?
What size of rubber do you run?

This at least is some good news if I stay with the 6.4
Old 10-20-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid View Post
This is good info

What are you seeing now for mpg (or better yet l/100km since that can't be converted wrong)?

It's a well known fact that you can get good gas milage out of a 6.4 this is nothing new. There are guys getting 18+ with 6.4's.

6.4L MPG with delete

Its just a question as to if you think it is worth risking you warranty. Go in the 6.4 forums and look at the people that have done the delete. Everything you are asking has already been answered, you need to decide wether or not you want to risk it or not.

Last edited by PUMPED 101; 10-20-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid View Post
This is good info

I have hand calculated a best of 20mpg roughly, that was unloaded running all highway but it settles in right around 18-19 average unloaded. I towed my tournament wakeboard boat to lake powell and back on a single tank and got 14 mpg hand calculated. I have heard of others not getting good gains but for me I'm getting great mileage.

I would assume my truck is inline with other h&s trucks at about 500hp and 1000ft lb of torque on the hot file. Stock the power was fine, it was very smooth and ran strong. I just wanted more because I could haha.

Tires are 33x12.5r20 Toyo open country a/t's.
Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.