Stubby 21" antenna - FAIL - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stubby 21" antenna - FAIL

Well,

I wondered about this when I installed it. I put the Stubby 21" antenna on my truck so it wouldn't clank going into my garage. Well, the folks over at Stubby forgot to make it spring-loaded.

I have a membership at a local car wash that is one of those Full-Service places. They do a great job, but the hanging brush thingies decided to snap my brand new Stubby 21" antenna. It's not the car wash's fault - they recommend you remove or retract (if applicable) non-factory antenna's before taking them through the wash.

I have a hard time NOT blaming the Stubby corp, though, for designing a non-flexible antenna. Granted, it's only $30 down the drain, but now I get to go home and play with an easy-out (it snapped right at the base), remove that antenna, and temporarily put the factory one back in until I can get something better.

Anyone know of a shorter antenna that's FLEXIBLE? Or better yet, maybe something that doesn't have to stick out of the vehicle to function?

And that antenna broke just hours before I'm getting ready to drive 4 1/2 hours to see my gf. Guess I'll just listen to my iPod.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Cut your factory one
Old 10-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It's got that little cord wrapped around it like all the newer ones have, so it would just be messy to cut.
The stubby worked great, I just don't understand why they didn't put a spring in the base of it to keep it from getting damaged.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Replace with same one since you liked it and STOP going to that car wash. Best way to wash is with a wand doing it yourself so so some schmuck or machine isnt getting close to the paint or potentionally messing something up. Even if I pull into a full serve gas station I make sure I fuel myself to prevent spillage. I hate to leave my things in the hands of others. my $.02
Old 10-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well, that idea works in an ideal world, but unfortunately, I can't do that. I spend 40 hours a week at my desk in the office, and the rest of the year I spend still somehow managing to put 50,000 miles on my vehicles. I prefer to wash my vehicles 3 to 4 times weekly, and washing by hand makes it extremely difficult to get the salt/sand from winter driving out from under the truck.
The car wash has an unlimited wash plan for $30/month, and I've been going there regularly for six years. They do a good job, know me well, and take good care of me. So even though I'm like you and hate to leave my stuff in the hands of others, this is the most realistic option for keeping my truck clean and rust-free.

I'll figure out something for the antenna... I'm not too worried. Between Sync and Sirius, I've got other options besides FM in the meantime.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The Stubby I got is MAYBE 3 inches long. It's still solid, but maybe since it's so short, it could withstand a car wash. Personally, I wouldn't try it, but if you have no other options, you could give it a try...
Old 10-16-2010, 05:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkinzenbaw View Post
Well, that idea works in an ideal world, but unfortunately, I can't do that. I spend 40 hours a week at my desk in the office, and the rest of the year I spend still somehow managing to put 50,000 miles on my vehicles. I prefer to wash my vehicles 3 to 4 times weekly, and washing by hand makes it extremely difficult to get the salt/sand from winter driving out from under the truck.
The car wash has an unlimited wash plan for $30/month, and I've been going there regularly for six years. They do a good job, know me well, and take good care of me. So even though I'm like you and hate to leave my stuff in the hands of others, this is the most realistic option for keeping my truck clean and rust-free.

I'll figure out something for the antenna... I'm not too worried. Between Sync and Sirius, I've got other options besides FM in the meantime.
I see your dilema. I live in Canada and work oilfield so between road salt/winter conditions and summer mud my trucks spend alot of time in car washes as well. No-one around here with a $30/month plan, I wish. Cost me that each time. I finally bought a pressure washer to take the heavy stuff off from under and on the truck before going to the car wash, easier on the wallet.
Good luck with figuring out your antenna situation.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:35 AM

I just bent mine not to hit my garage door. I came up about 6 inches bent it back to follow the contour of the windshield. Then about 6 inches from the end I bent it back straight up. Whala!
Old 10-16-2010, 05:59 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
I work that much and match your mileage but I still find the time to wash mine once a month.

I have heard too many horror stories about car washes to even dare to go in one. The only one I use ever normally after off roading is gas citys touchless carwash and I always have to rewash later too.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:05 AM

I cut mine. take 2 vise grips, one on the ball and one on the antenna and twist till the ball comes off. Cut to your desired length, take the small twisted wire and cut it down aways. Then take and file the end of the antenna so you can get the ball to start on it, flip it around and tap the ball on the ground, till its tight, and paint Ive did it to pretty much all of my trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.