6.7 Longevity Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 Longevity Questions

My Fire Dept. will be taking delivery of an F550 Brush truck. It'll have a 6.7 in it. was wondering what to focus on for maintenance. Is there anything specific to look at. Our last brush truck was a '76 power wagon so we trying to keep this for a long time. Just wondering what to look for. It wont be used all the time. maybe only once or twice a week max. Let me know. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 10:56 AM

WOW!! 35 years on the retired truck says volumes about the care your dept. gives it's vehicles. Your tax paying public should be thrilled. I'm curious to know how many miles are on the 76 Power Wagon. Cudo's to everyone involved with that truck.

The replacement Ford will be night and day different to the old Dodge but since your guys own private trucks they should be expecting some improvements. The owner's manual in the new truck will tell all about maintenance, just follow Ford's advice.

Since the 6.7 is new to the entire world, we have no real data on what to expect. The new 6.7 drive train has performed very well for the first 6 months and I do not know of any particular problem with it so far. There are hit and miss issues with them but nothing stands out as a problem, so far.

It sounds like you plan to use the new 550 off-road so I would suggest buying or building some nice skid pans to protect the bottom. The 6.7 has a plastic oil pan and even though that sounds scary, it is a pretty tuff part. I doubt it would hold up against a tree stump though so get some skid plates installed.

Do you have a pulling tractor or truck?? What classes are you running??
Old 10-05-2010, 11:07 AM

I don't know the exact milage on the truck. Im from NJ and i go to school at Penn State. Ill check when i get back. We are buying it from a company. I wasn't too involved in the spec. out so im not sure what it comes with off road wise. I will probably be involved in the maintenance because i am the only one with a powerstroke, even a diesel for that matter. Yea, we will look into skid plates if they arnt already installed. Ill post pics of it when we get it. It should be here before the end of the year.

To answer the pulling question. It a club here at PSU, we are a 1/4scale tractor pullling club. we compete against other schools. 1/4 scale means about the size of a ride on mower. Its slightly bigger. all custom parts pretty much. 3 B&S V-Twins linked together by belt drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.