Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.7L Oil Leak

48K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  Anth 
#1 ·
Well I hate to post this because I love my new truck but this morning I noticed oil spots on my driveway. Sure enough I crawl under and this is what I see. I hope it's something small. Off to the dealer tomorrow to get it looked at.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hopefully it's something simple.

Not changing subjects but, is that the oil cooler in that second pic???

If so, that's awesome!! No more ripping half the engine apart to get to the oil cooler.

Go Ford!

Let us know what the dealer says bro.

#3 ·
How many miles are on it?

#4 ·
7,293 miles as she sits in the driveway.

#6 ·
Kinda like your first baby having a cough... keep us posted.:bump:

#8 ·
Look closer. It isn't the drain plug. The oil is coming from higher up.

#12 ·
It could be a sensor leaking or something up above dripping down, making it look like the rear main. Similar to when it appears like a rear main leak on a 6.0, but is often something else.

#13 ·
Just got off the phone and it is the Rear Main Seal on the truck. Part is ordered and I could possibly have the truck back tomorrow evening latest Wednesday.

On hands and knees praying to the Powerstroke God that this is not like my 05 was with the rear main seal.

#14 ·
How many miles are on the truck, and any theory why the rear main seal would go out? Just curious, as I just bought the 6.7 a week ago and a new PS owner. Thanks

#15 ·
I posted the mileage earlier in the thread and no theory on why it happened. I haven't spoken to the diesel tech but I will when I go pick it up.

#16 ·
Maybe you could snap a few pics while they have it all torn apart, and maybe one of the seal itself??

#17 ·
Just went by and looked at my truck torn into a million pieces and spoke to the tech. He stated there are 2 things that are showing failures from production of the engines. 1 being the rear main seal from a sensor being installed and 2 being a o-ring in the turbo failing and causing oil leakage. Here is a picture with everything torn off.

#19 ·
Engine is still in the truck. Took the transmission off and anything else in the way.

#24 ·
So far it appears to be an isolated incident. If I had mine replaced, and it leaked again, I would have my own mechanic present at inspecting and installing the 3rd rear main. As 'another pair of eyes', and also as to watch the procedure from an unbiased non Ford trained perspective. I know that Ford has been very proactive in handling any and all of these items, and will do their best. I deal with people all day long in my work and have learned that listening, paying attention to others observations while focusing on a solution pays the best dividends. And that doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result is....:bdh:

All that being said, from talks with the shop manager at Ford, they are monitoring these trucks and incidents very closely. It's their baby.

#26 ·
Truck was fixed and back to me on Thursday. I drove it to Atlanta for the weekend but I have yet to look under it yet. I do know that they didn't clean things off after wards so it is still covered in oil. I guess I'll have to hit it with a pressure washer. Everything was covered under the warranty. I hope this is a one tie deal.

#31 ·
I know this is old topic but was wondering if I might have same problem. Sold my 6.0 and picked up this 6.7 with 103,XXX miles on it a little while ago and noticed oil under the truck when I was looking at the exhaust. Went for a drive and it dried up some before I took a picture of it but you can still see where it was leaking oil, and it's only on passenger side and out the yellow plug

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.