Ford wins a non-biased Shootout!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-20-2010, 05:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 830
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford wins a non-biased Shootout!!

Here's a much more objective competition between the big three diesel trucks.

And Ford wins!! No suprise though!!

ARTICLE

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Grande Prairie
Posts: 1,033
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to dusted4eva
Great article ! Thanks for the post. When the price comes down some I'll be sure to upgrade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 09-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 830
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Haha. Yea, maybe I should have waited. NOT!!

Here's the sound files mentioned in the article.
SOUND FILES

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 09-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 73
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does the article say why Ford won?

Shane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 09-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkr View Post
Does the article say why Ford won?

Shane
It's pretty vague but here is a quote:

""

Although the Duramax delivers stellar acceleration times at the track, it comes up short in our real-world evaluations on public roads and highways in metro Detroit.

With the trailer attached, the Duramax feels (and sounds) like it needs to work harder than the Power Stroke to do the same job. Under heavy acceleration, the Duramax sounds downright shrill.

In one back-to-back test, the Duramax needs about 2,000 rpm to tow the trailer up a moderate grade. The Power Stroke in the Super Duty conquers the same grade at the same speed at about 1,300 rpm. The Ford engine feels like it is barely working at all.

""


I'm not sure I'd really call it a win based on this limited info.


The sound bytes are very interesting. Does anyone else notice the drastic difference in noise between the trucks? The duramax is _by far_ the loudest of the 3. Ford is the quietest, by a long shot.

My wife didn't believe me when I told her it was quieter than her Lexus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 09-20-2010, 07:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 612
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The Ford had NOT been reflashed.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 09-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well, the Ford showed up with much taller gears, making one specific pull work in its favor due to a drastically different rpm range.

I am looking hard at a 2011 f350 King Ranch dually because nothing ever changes on the HD trucks, but I would not get too excited just yet. Ford and Dodge have been WAY behind in the HP department, especially real world power for a while now......noise level and fuel mileage as well.

BTW, these King ranch 350 dually`s are hard to come by....i might have to fly to Texas from PA if I decide to pull the trigger just to get one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 09-20-2010, 09:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 421
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyHowdy View Post

BTW, these King ranch 350 dually`s are hard to come by....i might have to fly to Texas from PA if I decide to pull the trigger just to get one.
I dont think you will regret it. It will be a good way to get your 500 mile break in before towing out of the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 09-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyHowdy View Post
Well, the Ford showed up with much taller gears, making one specific pull work in its favor due to a drastically different rpm range.

I am looking hard at a 2011 f350 King Ranch dually because nothing ever changes on the HD trucks, but I would not get too excited just yet. Ford and Dodge have been WAY behind in the HP department, especially real world power for a while now......noise level and fuel mileage as well.

BTW, these King ranch 350 dually`s are hard to come by....i might have to fly to Texas from PA if I decide to pull the trigger just to get one.
You won't be disappointed. The new trucks are spectacular. Ford has always been at the mercy of International/Navistar and unfortunately they've always pulled the short end of the stick. The new trucks are ridiculously quiet. I'm not joking when I say it's about as quiet as my wifes Lexus LX570. The sound clips in the above article are also proof of the sound level. The Duramax is a screamer. Dodge is a bit quieter, and the Ford is leaps and bounds below that.

It took me a long time to find my fully loaded KR. I ultimately had to settle on an F250 rather than 350. The 250 works for my trailer, but with the weaker rear spring packs i'm going to need airbags. My 2008 250 had twice the leaves and a sway bar. No it didn't have a camper package, it was just a standard off-road package lariat crew cab. I'm happy about the new set-up though. It will be MUCH smoother off-road which is a very big deal to me, and when I tow I can air up the firestone bags.

Anyhow... you won't regret it. You can pretty much forget the thing goes into regen mode also. I cannot tell when it's in regen. It idles the same, sounds the same, has the same power... if I missed the message and didn't see it in the instant milage screen I would never know. That's how I think it should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 09-21-2010, 10:03 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXDiesel View Post
You won't be disappointed. The new trucks are spectacular. Ford has always been at the mercy of International/Navistar and unfortunately they've always pulled the short end of the stick. The new trucks are ridiculously quiet. I'm not joking when I say it's about as quiet as my wifes Lexus LX570. The sound clips in the above article are also proof of the sound level. The Duramax is a screamer. Dodge is a bit quieter, and the Ford is leaps and bounds below that.

It took me a long time to find my fully loaded KR. I ultimately had to settle on an F250 rather than 350. The 250 works for my trailer, but with the weaker rear spring packs i'm going to need airbags. My 2008 250 had twice the leaves and a sway bar. No it didn't have a camper package, it was just a standard off-road package lariat crew cab. I'm happy about the new set-up though. It will be MUCH smoother off-road which is a very big deal to me, and when I tow I can air up the firestone bags.

Anyhow... you won't regret it. You can pretty much forget the thing goes into regen mode also. I cannot tell when it's in regen. It idles the same, sounds the same, has the same power... if I missed the message and didn't see it in the instant milage screen I would never know. That's how I think it should be.
I appreciate the information.

I am still debating on whether to keep my late 2007 HD that runs like the wind and pick up a 2002 crew cab 350 with a 7.3, or just get a new truck?

I am a little bit leery of buying in on the first year of a totally new engine/tranny combo, but i sure have liked the spec`s I have read.

I am not biased toward any brand at all. My last 4 trucks have been chevrolets simply because the duramax powered truck has been the hands down best setup.

With this new combo from Ford it looks like I may be able to have the power, AND the nicer interior.

Not to mention the better looking truck. I love the way my HD handles, rides, and runs, but I have to sneak up on it with my eyes closed so I don`t have to look at the outside of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors