High Capacity Trailer Tow Package - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High Capacity Trailer Tow Package

Hi, I am in Australia and I am purchasing an imported F450 which will be built after October (build 2).

While I have had an F250 for the past seven years towing a 4500kg caravan, I will only admit I know where to put the key and the fuel.

I am not mechanically inclined.

I have been asked whether I want to add the following option:

Quote:
High Capacity Trailer Tow Package and includes the following: Upgraded GCM from 11793kg to 13608kg, Upgraded rear axle gear set, so you go from a 4.10 LSD to a 4.30 LSD, Gain a Tow Pack although you loose the integrated electric trailer brake controller.A big consideration with this pack is that ultimately you will use a bit more Diesel.The pack is mainly designed for people who are intending to pull a really heavy trailer/5th wheeler hence the new gear ratio.As mentioned the trade of is economy and the reason for that is when you go to the 4.30 gear ratio the truck will rev harder down low so as to gain more RPM/Torque to get a really heavy load moving.Because it revs more you will ultimately use more Diesel (at all speeds).....I thought I would let you know about this option before build, this way you are aware and can take this into account incase you see a need for it to cover you on any future intended use of your truck
The truck is being fully optioned - everything including the kitchen sink - and I now need to consider this option before the truck is ordered by the import company.

All help/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mind boggling - to add to this post.

I have just learned the following:

Quote:
The Pickups come standard with the Hitch Receiver but the Cab Chassis don't....I'm not sure why? If you go for the high capacity trailer tow package you do get a Hitch receiver but you loose the integrated electric trailer brake controller.
Amazing, if I go with the standard Cab Chassis I have to have a hitch receiver fabricated; if I go with the High Capacity package I have to have an after market brake controller installed.

From the ridiculous to the absurd!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I did the math to better grasp what your asking on this side of the pond...
4500 kgs equals 9,900 lbs
11,793 kgs equals 26,000+ lbs
13,608 equals kgs 29,900+ lbs

Unless you are going to be hauling in excess of 25,000 lbs, I don't understand why you would need a 450. I would recommend you study up on the 6.7 diesel, 6 speed tranny which has gear ratios as high as 3:31 on the F-350 which has capabilities close to what your looking for. The tranny's ability, and design is such that it can handle moving large amounts of weight from a dead start coupled with 800 lbs of torque gives you lots of options.

Are you increasing the size of your caravan substantially???

Whatever you decide, best wishes...
Old 09-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi and thanks for the response.

I am going with the 450 because in our world the 350 has a 3200kg payload and the 450 has a 4500kg payload.

I put a large tradie type canopy on the rear which is heavy and I tow a 4500kg caravan.

The difference in price is between the 450 and the 350 is $10,000 and given what I am paying to make the initial purchase the difference is not significant and will easily be recouped during resale.

I am also told that the increased GCM results in a lesser ride comfort.

So, now my leanings are to forgo the option, and have an aftermarket hitch receiver so that I have the built-in brake controller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.