Shutdown during Regen - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shutdown during Regen

Does anyone know if there is any problem with shutting down your engine just as the Regen starts? I didn't notice any adverse affects, but it can't be good to shut down just as it's dumping more fuel in. By the way, I did notice it resumed Regen as soon as I restarted the engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 11:11 AM

I would think if it was a major problem then Ford would have done several things. First, you wouldn't be able to "shut down" during a regen, second they would have put this in the manual, and third Ford would have made a dash regen light or other notification that a regen is in progress. (an option I would REALLY like, btw)

Since they have not done any of the above, I can only assume that it is at least OK. If I saw a regen started i would be tempting to let it complete, but parked in my driveway how would I know?

When driving, I can sort-of tell because the instant fuel economy will fall a few 1/10ths and when complete it resumes.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think I read in my book to continue driving for 20 minutes IF POSSIBLE when regen happens. That is so the regen does it's job well. If you shut down during regen (I have a few times) it basicly just wastes what had begun and the truck has to start the regen again the next time you drive. I'm pretty sure heat is a big factor with regen so you would get a better regen if the truck was up to temp and working hard. I think that is why Ford tells us to continue driving if possible.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Hello i am new to diesels, and am going to sound like a complete idiot here. But what is regen? I am going to be ordering a 2011 King Ranch soon.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:41 PM

mine has 968KM im in canada, and have yeet to see a regen?
Old 09-08-2010, 05:15 AM

91 Terminator - the regen is a short phrase for regeneration. The 6.7 diesel is equiped with a Diesel Particulate Filter or DPF. This devise collects the solid particles from the exhaust. Every so often the filter gets full and must be cleaned - or regen. Extra diesel fuel is injected into the DPF and burned to clean it much like you wife's self cleaning oven. The filter is "burned clean". This process is the regen.

Hope that helps a little and no, you do not sound like an idiot for asking a solid question.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowdoc View Post
91 Terminator - the regen is a short phrase for regeneration. The 6.7 diesel is equiped with a Diesel Particulate Filter or DPF. This devise collects the solid particles from the exhaust. Every so often the filter gets full and must be cleaned - or regen. Extra diesel fuel is injected into the DPF and burned to clean it much like you wife's self cleaning oven. The filter is "burned clean". This process is the regen.

Hope that helps a little and no, you do not sound like an idiot for asking a solid question.
Thanks. That helps now i know what that means. So how long does the regen normally take? How often does it normally happen?

Thanks i still feel pretty dumb though, like i said i am new to diesels but am purchasing the New 6.7L very soon. I am a Boat Dealer so the diesel seems to be the way to go.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:18 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
I have shut mine off during regen a couple times..I think as said above, its just a waste, because it will come back on soon after a restart..
Old 09-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks all for your advise and experience. My only concern was the method by which Ford performs the active regeneration, which uses the left bank fuel injectors to squirt more fuel into the exhaust stroke to raise the temperature to burn off the soot. I'm just afraid that shutting down just then could lead to oil dilution with fuel washing past the piston rings.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:22 AM

Regen happens when sensors think the DPF is full. This could be 200 miles to around 500 miles depending how the truck is being operated. If the diesel is not working very hard then the regen will happen less.

When regen does happen it will last around 8 or 10 miles as you drive. I think Ford tells us to drive for 20 minutes "if possible" so the regen has time to finish and then time for the exhaust to cool back to normal temps.

I know the pipes must get very hot during regen and I wonder what steps are taken to prevent fire when a truck is driven or even parked off road. For instance many farmers will drive and stop in fields of wheat or hay. Seems like a fire hazard to me??? I'm sure engineers with a lot more knowlege than I have thought about this and made saftey adjustments.

Last edited by mowdoc; 09-09-2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.