Watch for wear on your MICHELIN'S!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Watch for wear on your MICHELIN'S!!

21476 2011 F-SUPER DUTY EQUIPPED WITH LT275/65R20E A/T OWL MICHELIN TIRES - ACCELERATED TIRE WEAR
SOME 2011 F-SUPER DUTY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH LT275/65R 20E A/T OWL MICHELIN TIRES MAY EXHIBIT ACCELERATED TIRE WEAR AT LOW TIRE MILEAGE (UNDER 10,000 MILES/16,090 KM). THIS MAY BE DUE TO HIGHER HORSEPOWER AND TORQUE WITH AGGRESSIVE VEHICLE LAUNCHES OR IMPROPER USAGE OF THE ELECTRONIC LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL (ELD) IF EQUIPPED (SEE OWNER'S GUIDE FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION). ALSO REFER TO SYMPTOM CHART IN WORKSHOP MANUAL, SECTION 204-00 AND CORRECT ANY ISSUES IDENTIFIED. IF NO PROBLEM IS FOUND, AND TIRES HAVE BEEN ROTATED ACCORDING TO MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE, REPLACEMENT OF TIRES SHOULD ONLY BE DONE ACCORDING TO WARRANTY AND POLICY MANUAL GUIDELINES. PLEASE CONTINUE TO SUBMIT A GLOBAL CONCERN REPORTS (GCR), LOCATED IN THE PTS HELP CENTER UNDER THE "CONTACT US" LINK.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/26/2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thats good to know...thanks for the info
Old 09-07-2010, 04:05 AM

At only 6k miles my rears look extremely feathered. The fronts are feathered too but not nearly as much as the rears are. I don't not launch aggressive like stated but when the trailer on on the truck it will spin without warning just getting away from a stop sign. This is because of the turbo lag and then sudden boost and the tires let go, then second shifts in like a dragster and they spin again. It is dangerous if you are turning out onto a road and have to rush it for traffic. I'm not too crazy about spinning while turning and towing!!
Old 09-07-2010, 04:08 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
The michelins cant handle the power
Old 09-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have expressed concern on my michelin tires on the other powerstroke forum. Is this a check by the ford dealer or how can i have the wear cheched. Does this have to be done before 10,000 miles, I have 8,800 miles now? 2011 kr cc sb 265/65/20 tires f4x
Old 09-08-2010, 04:07 AM

I'll know more tonight - I put mine in the shop today for service, the reflash and I printed the info above and asked them to check the tire wear. The writer was not aware of the printed tire info and seemed interested to learm more. I feel like if they can do anything, they will. I'll post results after I get the truck back this afternoon. My tires look pretty worn at 6k miles. My truck has more miles towing than it does empty and I do not spin the tires on purpose.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowdoc View Post
At only 6k miles my rears look extremely feathered. The fronts are feathered too but not nearly as much as the rears are.
Exactly!! I'm seeing the same thing. When I got the new Michelins, they required very, very minimal weight to balance them. My mileage improved slightly. So far, so good. After I towed my 5th wheel on a 3 hour drive on the interstate is when I noticed the issues. They are feathering badly and have uneven treadwear. The Ford dealer thought it was the alignment, they checked my alignment and it's dang near perfect and well within specs. The guys at Discount tire (where I got my tires) haven't seen anything like it. My OEM Goodyear Wranglers wore nice and even during their entire lifecycle which included on-time rotations just like I do on these new Michelins. Something is up with these new Michelins. Everyone, please keep an eye on your tires. My '11 F350 is coming with the Michelins on the 20's and I certainly want them to last a very long time.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:13 AM

I bought them new last January for my 6.4. So 6.7 has nothing to do with it. I got Michelin to replace mine. In the end at 25K or so they looked bald from the shoulders in.Pretty sad for a AT tire. The two rows in the middle were fine. It's the design of the outer snipeing and it's lugs that cause it to wear down fast and lose its abiltity for traction. The LTX/2's they replaced them with are fine. Not a power issue just a wear issue.
I have a 6.7 on order so I assuem they won't come with them. I'm glad about that. Don't want to have to go thru that again.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:44 AM

I had my truck in the shop yesterday for the reflash, service and tire wear.

They told me they had put it on the line-up machine to check. They made one small adjustment but said it was not out of spec and that would not have caused the wear. They rotated the tires and told me to keep an eye on the wear.

I feel like this is the procedure Ford has requested and now they wait to see if I return for the same issue - I will. I figure it will take 3 visits before a decision is made regarding replacememnt. Time will tell.

Everyone with these tires needs to stay on this so Ford can recognize the issue and make changes. These Michlens seem to have a problem with design or material and they are not working out so well in heavy use like we put our trucks thru.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:54 AM

I wish I had a pic of mine before I exchanged them to show you guys what your in for. If you can get the dealer to change them do it or you'll be sorry.It may be too late to get good results when you put 30K on them. They hold up but you will lose traction for brakeing,rain,snow,mud,etc.
It's the design.My truck 08 6.4 wore them normal. My Sears saw this and testified to Michilen. I'm glad my Sears manager told me to call Michelin while there and complain. I never thought they'd give me new LTX/2's and take back the AT/2's.
I'm sure the other Tire makers are enjoying this mistake by Michelin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.