800+ miles in New F350 DRW Scorpion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 03:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
800+ miles in New F350 DRW Scorpion

Good Morning! My first post in years. I was on here with my first KR F250- 2003, 6.0, but after driving GMC Sierra Denali for last 1.5 years, couldnt wait to get my hands on new 2011 with the Scorpion. So yesterday I drove 24 hours in 2 days, another story for another day, to North Carolina and picked up my new baby! A 2011 F 350 King Ranch DRW with the 6. 7 Scorpion.

For a little history;I've been a Ford truck guy for 25 years or more. The GMC mentioned was my first NON Ford truck owned and I was VERY happy,just not a Ford . My last Ford Truck was a Short Bed King Ranch with 6.0, 2003. One that I never had a problem, so I was a big fan of that truck. I bought a big Pusher so I sold it , missed it and now back in the Ford Family . Note , Ive never owned a Duelly either .

Lets start with my biggest concern; was a Duelly gonna be a bear as a daily driver? After 800 mile trip , multiple construction zones, toll boths , narrow two lane roads , a big ole NO is the only answer. In fact it was easier to maintain than the Sierra Denaili 6.2 AWD . No idea why , but I was on the same roads so had a good frame of reference. Amazingly this big rig is pretty darn nimble ! Firm for sure , with great dampening and very little body shake , if any. I mention because my only SMALL personal issue was the firm ride of a F350 DRW.

Being a first time DRW owner, I was ready for X and got X1 if you know what I mean. I think 100 % of DRW owners would say the ride was spectacular for a truck like this and what did I really expect! . I think I was being a little naive.

Ive ridden in friends DRW and got bounced all over . That doesnt happen in this truck. This truck is firm ( F350 DRW 8ft bed 4x4) I did let a little air out of the tires, which didnt really help. By the end of the trip , I just was rolling with it! I think the big problem was that Denali made me " soft " . Overall pretty amazing ride !

It was a great trip and wont bore anyone reading , so I ll get to my quick thoughts based on my prior due dilegence and now actual owning experience.
I should also mention the truck had 22miles on it when I left NC and almost 900 two days later after reaching Boston.

Oil changes are computer based on driving . The Truck will tell you when to change based on driving , heat , towing , torque etc. The system , god forbid it shuts down , could run a small Star Ship if you get my drift. very slick ! I mention because I ve been told other stuff about the expense ( which is between 175-200 per oil change ) and frequency . I'm a 5000 per mile guy but have been told my multiple people with Ford , on average it will be 10k per change. That surely helps with the expense in my book. Anything sooner is fine but a waste of money they say .

The power and torque are spot on! Wow ! The Scorpion rocks! I dont think I ve been " flashed " yet. Let me say the Sierra Denali was " fast" ( over 400hp) ,but the Scorpion feels like your being shot out of a cannon. When you want to pass someone its a touch of the pedal and no downshifts or waiting ; just hold on!

Driving almost all highway , without tow I averaged 17mpg , with .2 variance. Speeds 55 to 80 . Significant time at 73 with Cruise on . I did pass someone dilly dallying and looked down to find myself quickly at 90 . No big downshifts just a little turbo boost .

The fuel additive is every 10k miles or oil change. If it gets low it will also tell you so that wasnt an issue.

Interior Db's were lower than the Denali also. I know that from yapping on the phone and friends could not tell I was driving , doing 70mph . The Truck is tight , and very quiet !

Small fun stuff for me ; the Sync Stereo is incredible. I have Nav with Prem. so it has all the bells and whistles. The Nav Map had me buzz around an accident in Danbury CT like I ve never been able to do before . Followed the little arrow and missed an hour back up in 10 min. It was impressive. Sound quality with the Sirius and my IPOD were first rate for an OEM stereo.

Its nice to be able to drive with Sunroof and sliding rear window open and be able to hear the Stereo .

Pumping gas and having people check out your truck is a nice touch.

My butt likes the AC cooling King Ranch seats ! Also the AC in the seat is for both your butt and back . I had read only your butt . That s not the case. At one point I had roof open ,90degrees with window down and the SEAT AC only on. A nice touch on a sunny day !

The King Ranch wheels are really nice in person !

Love the locking case under the rear seat! Guns, money , valuables etc.

Tons of plugs and cup holders!

Big back seat!

It was a great first trip for sure! The ride , power , fit , finish , performance etc all exceeded any of my expectations ! Its a very quick , powerful , luxurious, useful , workable workhouse that also looks incredible ! Its also wonderfully built! What more could a guy want... a ton of power to pull the balls off a T Rex while looking great doing it. Hats off to Ford !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2010, 03:32 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Congrats on your new truck. Glad you like it
Old 09-01-2010, 03:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
Glad you like it.

Thats one thing that fans of other companies havent taken notice to yet. Since the economic crisis ford has really stepped its game up on quality and mileage.

Enjoy the new truck you should get a lot of miles out of it. And sync is absolutely sweet isnt it.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:23 AM
Shaking the Bush Boss

After reading your post...makes me want to go buy one even more!.....Are you in sales by any chance?

Glad to hear you like the truck.....
Old 09-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Wow Makes me wanna just go to the dealership right now and take one home.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:18 PM

Makes me wish I could go to the dealership right now and take one home. rofl
Old 09-05-2010, 03:21 PM

Wow...x2 on that !
I have 2500 on mine now and wife and I went for a 450 mi road trip yesterday.We spend nearly 12 hours in the truck,with AC on 98% of the time.The truck performed fantastic.we went between 113 degrees to 61 degrees,twistys,hills and stop and go traffic jams !! This truck is so much more comfortable than my 05 PSD f250 and for my wife not to complain about her butt !! not even once? That's worth the money right there
I'm amazed how the F350 can be so plush I'm in love........
Old 09-05-2010, 05:09 PM

Congrats on the new truck, look into adding the airbags and compressor to your truck, it will make it ride better with just a little air in the bags to help take the shock out of the springs.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDriver View Post
look into adding the airbags and compressor to your truck, it will make it ride better with just a little air in the bags to help take the shock out of the springs.
Why is that?

I am looking at the 2011 DRW for towing. Drove one the other day, nice. I have a 2500HD with airbags that I plan on removing before trading in.

Is the ride improvement enough to justify bags on the new truck?

I mainly put them on the GMC to keep the truck level with 3000 pounds of pin weight.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I dont think that is an issue with the F350 DRW. Pulled my trailer the other day with about 700 pounds in a 2k trailer and it road like a luxury vehicle. I was trying to take just a small edge off some of the hits. The hits are not bad by any means and the rebound is exceptional , so although you get the initial hit before you feel a big jarring sensation it takes the edge off the hit . For what it is I truly believe the ride is exceptional , especially when towing . just my opinion of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.