The new transmission and fluid.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 01:00 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The new transmission and fluid....

I did a search and could not find anything, I am also a bit amazed that this may not have been brought up yet.

What fluid does the new transmission Use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

According to the owners manual:

Motocraft MERCON LV ATF
Part # XT-10-QLV
Old 08-25-2010, 01:52 PM

I like the obama thing you have posted. So it looks like another dealer only fluid not available at your local parts store again. When I bought the 03 I figured Mercon SP would be available by 05 at any parts store and that never happened?, I am sure it will be the same for Mercon LV as well.....

Good looking truck, Same color as mine but without the black bottom side. I may consider trading the 03 in for a 2013 model when I feel comfortable with the new trucks track record. I do not want to make the same mistake as I did with the 2003 model.....
Old 08-25-2010, 02:36 PM

Until you drive 150k miles you shouldn't have to worry about fluid....
Old 08-25-2010, 03:54 PM

I would never push transmission fluid 150.000 miles. I would say it would be hard for me to do even half that.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDaleXp View Post
I like the obama thing you have posted. So it looks like another dealer only fluid not available at your local parts store again. When I bought the 03 I figured Mercon SP would be available by 05 at any parts store and that never happened?, I am sure it will be the same for Mercon LV as well.....

Good looking truck, Same color as mine but without the black bottom side. I may consider trading the 03 in for a 2013 model when I feel comfortable with the new trucks track record. I do not want to make the same mistake as I did with the 2003 model.....
Thanks. I ordered the color to not have a color that is not so common. I would have done the black bottom, but they don't offer 2-tone with the Adobe anymore.

I love the new truck and it tows like crazy!! I don't think Ford would allow another 6.0 situation. At least I hope not.

Dakster is right. From THIS ARTICLE

"Drain intervals across the board with the new fluid will be 150,000 miles for passenger cars and trucks, in normal service," Ved said. Ford says Mercon LV has strong potential for increasing the severe-duty service change intervals, as well, which it will announce at a later date.

I would not feel comfortable going anywhere near that long, especially since I tow a 14K lb 5th wheel. The manual says change at 60K, so I'll probably change it at 50K.

Mark
Old 08-25-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDarrough View Post
Thanks. I ordered the color to not have a color that is not so common. I would have done the black bottom, but they don't offer 2-tone with the Adobe anymore.

I love the new truck and it tows like crazy!! I don't think Ford would allow another 6.0 situation. At least I hope not.

Dakster is right. From THIS ARTICLE

"Drain intervals across the board with the new fluid will be 150,000 miles for passenger cars and trucks, in normal service," Ved said. Ford says Mercon LV has strong potential for increasing the severe-duty service change intervals, as well, which it will announce at a later date.

I would not feel comfortable going anywhere near that long, especially since I tow a 14K lb 5th wheel. The manual says change at 60K, so I'll probably change it at 50K.

Mark
I am with you on no more then 50k intervals. I did read what ford said but because of 30+ years as a former race engine builder and transmission builder I believe in clean fluids. I only started on the diesel stuff after buying the 03. I let the dealers handle the repair work until the warranty was done then I was forced to takeover from there due to the cost of keeping theses trucks up. I was always a gas guy before this. I also pull a 15k toy hauler with our truck.....
Old 08-26-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDaleXp View Post
I am with you on no more then 50k intervals. I did read what ford said but because of 30+ years as a former race engine builder and transmission builder I believe in clean fluids. I only started on the diesel stuff after buying the 03. I let the dealers handle the repair work until the warranty was done then I was forced to takeover from there due to the cost of keeping theses trucks up. I was always a gas guy before this. I also pull a 15k toy hauler with our truck.....
I wouldn't got 150k miles either - just saying that was the service interval. In fact, I have never owned a vehicle with more than 100K on it...

This truck will probably be the same as I drive less than 10k per year (my last truck I drove an average of 5k miles a year) and even if this is the best vehicle ever built I just don't see having it more than 15 years.

However, I don't think I would be changing the 150k mile fluid out every 15k miles, like the Honda recommends for their AWD vehicles. (at least my 2001 MDX was like that) and it was expensive, dealer only, fluid at the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.