$52 oil filter? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2010, 05:44 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
$52 oil filter?

I live in Southern California just a bit south of San Diego. I've got about 4400 miles on my new rig and am getting prepared for first oil change. I read that a few of you were a little doubtful about the new plastic oil plug, so I decided to go down to the dealer in order to order one, have it on hand during the first oil change so that if I don't remove the plug properly, I'll have a spare on hand, etc. While there, I asked the guy if he had oil filters for the truck on hand. He told me that he had to order it....at a cost of $52! Any of y'all experienced a cost like that for your oil filters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2010, 05:48 PM
lost in space

...ouch
Old 08-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That's crazy! It's a spin on type like the 7.3
Old 08-22-2010, 06:49 PM

Thanks for the heads-up on the dealer filter pricing. I will be buying my own online!!

6.7 Liter Turbo Diesel Motorcraft FL2051 Oil Filter(FL-2051)
Old 08-22-2010, 07:00 PM
lost in space

...can they use the idea that you didnt buy filters thru them to possibly void a warranty at a later date?!?

if so, might be worth the difference to not have a headache later
Old 08-22-2010, 07:16 PM

That is a good question. I've ordered motorcraft filters before and taken them to the dealer to have them install them during oil and fuel filter changes. I generally like to see if the dealer is running a special on oil changes or services and see if they have a coupon or such. When I do order filters, I generally do it at the fuel filter changing time and do oil and fuel filters (ordered online). As far as the service dept knows, I just as well have gotten them from the parts counter as they're the exact same Ford part number, Ford logo, made by the same supplier of Ford filters, and same packaging. I just paid a lot less for them. The dealer installs a Ford filter. Everything is cool.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Send a message via Skype™ to BigOlDog
the dealer can not void your warranty for using a different type of filter. Look up the mossburg act (think thats what it is called) I try to look up the act again to give you the right name.

To the OP if I could be of any service on your next change please feel free to ask.Im not a 100 percent sure on the price of our filters for the new motors but I will be more than happy to get you one if interested.

thanks for your time
Old 08-24-2010, 09:36 AM

What happens when you buy the crappy $15 dollar filter that falls apart clogging the oil passages? Is that fords fault?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:45 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOlDog View Post
the dealer can not void your warranty for using a different type of filter. Look up the mossburg act (think thats what it is called) I try to look up the act again to give you the right name.

To the OP if I could be of any service on your next change please feel free to ask.Im not a 100 percent sure on the price of our filters for the new motors but I will be more than happy to get you one if interested.

thanks for your time
Mossberg? Are you thinkin about guns

Magnuson-Moss act is what you are talking about.

Because of this act the manufacturer has to prove the aftermarket part caused the failure.

As we all know. In some cases its not that hard to prove either. Not all filters are created equal
Old 08-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Send a message via Skype™ to BigOlDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Mossberg? Are you thinkin about guns

Magnuson-Moss act is what you are talking about.

Because of this act the manufacturer has to prove the aftermarket part caused the failure.

As we all know. In some cases its not that hard to prove either. Not all filters are created equal
Can't remember everything . Got close enough . Knew someone would get a good laugh and hopefully get me straight. Thank you.

You are right about filters. Im not buy a 15 dollar filter that I know is going to tear up. But that being said that expensive filter that everyone has was put together buy a disgruntal employee who hates their job....it may tear up also. Just makes you think. Thats why you get a warranty with the products you buy. Just think its harder for them to prove either way .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.