20,000 miles and.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
20,000 miles and....

The truck hit 20k this A.M., just finished a 750 mile trip pulling a 14-15k fifth wheel at 65-79 mph averaging a consistent hand calculated 10-11 mpg. I am repeatedly surprised by the trucks power, and still "breaking er in" with wot up inclines, and often wot after the truck is rolling from 30 mph plus with the fifth wheel. Pulling I have not noticed much mpg difference from 60-70, hence... 70+ seems to be where I end up.

I anticipate break in to be between 60 and 80,000 miles, will determine break in by the 6.7 obtaining the relaxed lope at idle that accompanies the well used diesels, any other ideas on break in clues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Emergency Services

Curious about your truck. Is it SRW or DRW? LWB or SWB? Did you get the factory hitch prep.? Have you pulled much in the mountains with it? What is the mileage running empty? I'm getting real close to ordering one and trying to make up my mind on a few things and you seem to have the most mileage that I have seen anyone post so hence the questions. Is there anything you would do different about the truck if you were ordering one today?
Old 08-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
man you sure drive alot. how long did it take you to jack that up? i'd guess your MPG's would be much better have you not been driving so fast lol.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:22 AM

rich - r u running a fuel additive? Some say it is important for the fuel pump and everything downstream of that...
Old 08-15-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richc22a View Post
The truck hit 20k this A.M., just finished a 750 mile trip pulling a 14-15k fifth wheel at 65-79 mph averaging a consistent hand calculated 10-11 mpg. I am repeatedly surprised by the trucks power, and still "breaking er in" with wot up inclines, and often wot after the truck is rolling from 30 mph plus with the fifth wheel. Pulling I have not noticed much mpg difference from 60-70, hence... 70+ seems to be where I end up.

I anticipate break in to be between 60 and 80,000 miles, will determine break in by the 6.7 obtaining the relaxed lope at idle that accompanies the well used diesels, any other ideas on break in clues?
Wow 20k ?? Mine just turn 600 this wkd !! and I'm loving this truck.I loved my 05 6.0 but this truck is so so quite and refine its amazing ! So far i'm getting 16-17 mpg on the average empty ...havin tow yet !
Old 08-15-2010, 05:41 PM

No fuel additive, it's a short bed cc F-350 SRW no factory gooseneck. Running empty mpg depends on what I want. I can baby it around town and eke 19 mpg even with stops, take offs. Not my style. On the highway, best empty is 18 mpg at 75, other times 16-17 mpg running same speed at different times/locations. What would I do different if I were to reorder the truck? Not much if anything, the fifth wheel? I did not realize how big it was until I hooked up!! First 100 miles I wondered if I should have got a dually, second hundred....realized if my tires were good, and low pressure warnings are working, keep a safe distance and a good eye on the road... I had nothing to worry about. I have pulled on flat, up grades, the truck has never faltered, heated, and at the same time has warmed,or cooled my arse when requested!! I am GLAD I ordered the F-350 over the F-250, the old adage holds true, I'd rather have the extra capability and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:31 PM

Yea, the power over my '08/6.4 is way different and the tranny is sooooo much better. I love the manual feature!!

I just did a 550 mile round-trip to Padre Island over the weekend pulling my 40ft 14K 5er and got 12.4 for the trip. Not bad!!

I love this truck!!

Mark
Old 08-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
realized if my tires were good, and low pressure warnings are working.
Did you eventually have to turn the tire monitoring system off when loaded with the 5th?

What size wheels you have on the truck?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
No fuel additive, it's a short bed cc F-350 SRW no factory gooseneck. Running empty mpg depends on what I want. I can baby it around town and eke 19 mpg even with stops, take offs. Not my style. On the highway, best empty is 18 mpg at 75, other times 16-17 mpg running same speed at different times/locations. What would I do different if I were to reorder the truck? Not much if anything, the fifth wheel? I did not realize how big it was until I hooked up!! First 100 miles I wondered if I should have got a dually, second hundred....realized if my tires were good, and low pressure warnings are working, keep a safe distance and a good eye on the road... I had nothing to worry about. I have pulled on flat, up grades, the truck has never faltered, heated, and at the same time has warmed,or cooled my arse when requested!! I am GLAD I ordered the F-350 over the F-250, the old adage holds true, I'd rather have the extra capability and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Thanks for the info.

I am trying to figure out exactly what I want. I sold the truck in my signature 2 yrs. ago and bought a 06 Megacab 5.9L. I was happy with the way the 01 Ford towed for the most part. The Dodge has it good points and bad. The Cummins pulls very well but the truck itself is not set up optimally for what I need due to the lift on it. I want stability when towing my 5er. The problem is that the DRW Ford fenders haven't grown on me yet and the wife wants a short wheel base. I'm leaning toward a compromise (F350 LWB SRW), after all, I was happy with my 01 until I blew the first motor.
Again, Thanks!!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 04:34 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to cgpuddles
Just hit 1,000 miles this am. Haven't had the pleasure of towwing yet. The hitch is still in the mail. I had to change the whole set up for the 2.5"er, mount, ball, and pin but I like what someone else said, no one can borrow your set up this way. I ordered the reducer though, that way I can borrow someone else's set up I also had to order the reducer so I could put a hitch cover on. Anyone find any cover that fit the stock 2.5"?

I can't wait to start rolling the miles on. I am normally a high mileage driver for someone who doesn't work out of their truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.