Quick Question... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quick Question...

Wow am I ever excited. I just ordered a new 2011 Diesel Ford F350 4x4 SRW Short Box Crew Cab. My first Ford. Converted from Dodge.

A quick question...having a hard time with understanding the spec sheets and I don't trust the Salesman.

I am looking to pull a 5th wheel with a hitch/pin weight of 2,995lbs and a Dry weight of 13,595lbs. Will this truck pull this safely? This is a Toy Hauler. Triple Axle. Plan to load up 5 dirt bikes inside with 100 gallons of water and 50 gallons of fuel and a generator, probably bringing the Trailer weight up to 17,000lbs.

I was going to install Air bags or another suspension upgrade to help ensure that this rig keeps the shiny side up. Any alternative to Air Bags, anything better?

Originally, I was going to buy the F450, but my wife said no way. She didn't want to have to drive a long box or a dually. So I ended up with the SRW Short Box F350. Salesman says no problem, but I wanted to double check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Air bags are the best right now.

There's the Firestone R4Tech Air-over-Leaf system, but it's only available on duallys right now

Firestone R4Tech Air-over-Leaf Suspension-RH1

edit: 4wheelparts shows putting it on a SRW so apparently it works. But Firestone's website says dually only right now

Last edited by Zytek_Fan; 08-03-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to harley1rocker Send a message via Skype™ to harley1rocker
do those 2011's come with 10 ply tires??? i would think they do.thats what i run on mine.i dont race,sled pull or anything like that,stricly money pulls.we are pullin those fema trailers right now.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansharkey View Post
Wow am I ever excited. I just ordered a new 2011 Diesel Ford F350 4x4 SRW Short Box Crew Cab. My first Ford. Converted from Dodge.

A quick question...having a hard time with understanding the spec sheets and I don't trust the Salesman.

I am looking to pull a 5th wheel with a hitch/pin weight of 2,995lbs and a Dry weight of 13,595lbs. Will this truck pull this safely? This is a Toy Hauler. Triple Axle. Plan to load up 5 dirt bikes inside with 100 gallons of water and 50 gallons of fuel and a generator, probably bringing the Trailer weight up to 17,000lbs.

I was going to install Air bags or another suspension upgrade to help ensure that this rig keeps the shiny side up. Any alternative to Air Bags, anything better?

Originally, I was going to buy the F450, but my wife said no way. She didn't want to have to drive a long box or a dually. So I ended up with the SRW Short Box F350. Salesman says no problem, but I wanted to double check.
You don't need air bags or anything else pulling only 17000lbs. I pull 25000 with no problem and I even have 3:31 gears.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The problem is not the trailer weight, but the pin weight. My 5er is 40 ft long, just short of 14K lbs, with a pin weight of 2300. My '08 was the same config as the one you ordered, and I did install air bags. It would handle it ok, but I felt it was at the top end of the capability of the truck. There were a lot of white-knuckle times like mountain roads, through narrow-lane construction areas, etc. It bottomed out the springs all the time. You have a little more pin weigh, so you would DEFINITELY need the bags.

My '11 dually is night and day different!! I feel like I'm in complete control. Plus, the 5th wheel prep package is great. IMHO, you might regret not getting a dually. But I certainly understand obeying the boss!!

Mark
Old 08-04-2010, 06:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The '11 350SRW is only rated to 15,800# for fiver. The dually is rated to 20,300# for fiver. Based on your post you are going to use up all of your 2000#+ carrying capacity with the bikes, water, and gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.