** INFO *** - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 01:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
** INFO ***

(addendum to prior "Abusive streak" thread, in the prior thread I drove the 1600+ miles to work, cruised 75-80+ mph up hills on cruise control). Coming home I pulled the 8,000 trailer, it was a 1719 mile trip, so I topped off the DEF tank to check consumption. I cruised home averaging 66.5 mph moving per Garmin. Halfway home, lost power, no 'warning lights, no warning messages', no overheating, truck ran okay, just no power to pass, no acceleration up hills, transmission did not shift correctly. Did not worry, as temps, basic functions were okay. Reminded me of a big block chevy with a restricted fuel filter, high rev's, no power. This morning, went to the dealer, had the fuel filters changed. Immediate benefit, this truck NEVER had this much power.
Took traction control off, locked the rear end, nailed it. It went sideways, straightened it out and left two rubber streaks for the salesmen to sell 2011's .
(I drove my 6.0 like this, about 25% the distance or less, stretched headbolts. This truck was driven both ways, cruising 70 +, top speed per Gramin 84+ mph, up grades, over hills, 6400 elevation at times, no problems other than maintanance related fuel filters. No comparison to the stock 6.4, or the modded 6.0).

DEF?? Topped off the DEF tank, took less than 1 gallon for 1719 miles running hard.

Lose power? Not to worry, recommend having the dealer change BOTH filters, or check spec's on which one to change first....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2010, 08:39 PM

That's good to know.I drove 2011's today and loved it.I'll be picking one up in two weeks.
Thanks for the info
Old 08-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've been following you posts like a hawk based on the miles you are puting on your truck and the fact that you admit that you don't baby it (the way it should be) and was wondering what it is that you do or what are you hauling that requires such time sensitive attention. If you want you can PM me with the answer.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:43 PM

My job is the reason for my miles, with oftentimes being called to be somewhere within 48 hours or less for work. I have worked the East Coast, West Coast, and numerous locations in between. My vehicle is crucial, because in the absence of ice/snow I prefer to take the comforts of home, meaning my trailer with me. I will stay anywhere from 3 weeks, to three months. So having a truck that can haul arse pulling a load without breaking reduces stress. This 6.7 is the toughest truck I have ever driven, including my 7.3.
I work out of my truck, in heat it idles to keep the AC on all day, in cold weather, it idles to keep the heat on, at this writing, my idling hours more than double my driving hours.

I am getting ready to increase the trailer weight from 8k to over 10k with a 36' fifth wheel.

These trucks are new, and there is a learning curve that is occurring. The 6.4 would still run great with a trashed fuel filter, the 6.7 will not.
Hopefully knowing this will alleviate frustration for others...
Old 08-03-2010, 09:22 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wonder why the filter got plugged up so quickly? Might want to run another filter in the setup somewhere...Racor maybe?
Old 08-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ford 6.7 diesel handbook: change fuel filters every 22,500 miles, except for frequent or extended idling change at 15,000 miles. Could be why they needed changing early.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:44 AM

How about a bad batch of fuel?? That would surely cause a filter to plug up early. Did you see what your old filters looked like?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:31 PM

No I did not check out the old, but loss of power was noticable after a fill up at an old gas/diesel filling station that had not been maintained, they possibly had not changed their filters...or...per the earlier post, my extended idling may have contributed.

My fuel filter message did not light up, it might be pegged to the mileage instead of performance.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richc22a View Post
No I did not check out the old, but loss of power was noticable after a fill up at an old gas/diesel filling station that had not been maintained, they possibly had not changed their filters...or...per the earlier post, my extended idling may have contributed.

My fuel filter message did not light up, it might be pegged to the mileage instead of performance.
The fuel station is probably the culprit, although the fact you got "more power" than you ever had is a little alarming.

I bet the fuel filter is pegged to gallons through it, rather than performance - sort of like how the "oil quality" computer works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.