Oil pan drain plug?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 06:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil pan drain plug??

I plan to change the engine oil in a week or so. I was looking under the truck yesterday and I see the plastic pan everone is talking about. I don't have a problem with the pan being plastic but I noticed the drain plug is plastic too. It looks like you put a 3/8 drive extension in it to turn it but it also looks like it might be a one time, disposable plug??

Who has removed one of these plugs before and is there any trick to know first? Do I need to buy another plug before I take this one out? Is there any advice for installing the oil plug like a torque value or something?

Thanks for the help

mowdoc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 02:16 PM

Good luck man!

Hopefully these plastic parts won't cause issues on the new trucks.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Serving Our Country!

Wow!!! Plastic pan? good luck off-road...
Old 07-14-2010, 03:26 PM

I think it's just a quarter turn drain valve. You just turn it a quarter turn and then close it back. Nice for taking oil samples.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:22 PM

I took my truck for service at my regular place, they were Scorpion Virgins, so they took their time with her. The manual states turn the plug about 1/4 turn, they did...nothing. They turned it about 1/2 turn and it was a BP gusher!! The plastic reusable plug popped out and it didn't just drain, it shot out. (Wear a nice white shirt!!). I was under the impression it would be a valve type...I will examine the plug next time...I was more interested in monitoring the air cleaner filter check, etc.

Ford changed it the first time....didn't watch... they didn't fill the windshield washer...I don't even think they lubed it, it is nice to know what you are getting by either: a) doing it yourself, or; b) watching it done right.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:53 AM

Thanks Rich for the info! Couple of questions for you - how much DEF does your truck require at oil change (I'm guessing you change at 5k miles)? Do you have to add DEF between oil changes? I have 2800 miles now and the computer says I am less than half tank on DEF. I wish these things would read actual level and I wish the oil change interval was given in percentage used or left instead of just saying "OK".

I will get my first service free from the dealer but I am going on a 3000 mile trip in a few days so I thought I would just drop and replace the oil only before I leave. When I get back I'll let the dealer do the full monty on it. But I don't want to run way over the interval on the trip. So I'm going to replace the oil and add a couple gallons of DEF before I take off.

Hey A-5 Guy . . . . Have you ever flown any missions out of Nellis AFB in Las Vegas?? There were 8 of those Ospreys in town a year or so ago and I work out of town right on the flight path to the ranges. A couple of you guys damn near took the top off one of my buildings!!! That was some sweet flying right there!! I don't know how you guys get the nerve to fly that fast so low!! Maybe it comes in in the form of a six-pack?? I could see the pilot's looking right at us. I was hoping the building would deflect them away from me but some of my guys were diving for cover!!!! Good Job Dude!!!!!!!

I sleep real good at night knowing we have top shelf guys like you defending our country!!! THANKS!!

mowdoc
Old 07-15-2010, 05:08 PM

Anybody changed the oil and replaced it with Amsoil? If so, what viscosity? I've been using 15w40 diesel marine from amsoil and am considering using it in my 350 Lariat (pick up tomorrow am). Interested in any comments. Thanks,
Old 07-19-2010, 03:57 AM

Grizzly16 - I know the manual says 10W30 and option is 10W40. I was in the service dept. at my dealer last Thursday talking to a guy that has worked on Fords 40 years. He told me to stay with the 10W30 and that Ford had said the same thing to him. It was 114 degrees outside when we had this conversation!!! Naturally, I mentioned the weather and that I felt 10W30 was a little thin but he remained solid and said stay with what Ford wants - 10W30. So that's what I put in my truck for the desert heat.

In my old school thinking, 15W40 is what you put in a working diesel but I guess that was before smog controls and government regulations.

BTW Richc22a - I was able to keep my shirt clean ONLY because of your warning!! THANKS AGAIN!!!!!

mowdoc
Old 07-19-2010, 01:17 PM

One thought I had this weekend..... I was changing the oil in the wife's 2010 4.0l dodge this weekend and she has a metal pan and plug... only hers wasn't magnetic like my 6.0l Excursion is. Are they not doing this anymore? I am assuming the plastic plug want have a magnet. Just nice to see no (hopefully) metal on the plus and clean it and slap it on the pan while it drains so you don't lose it. Why the change?
Old 07-19-2010, 07:48 PM

mowdoc, appreciate it. Guess I'll do the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.