Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors in Aftermarket Wheels? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors in Aftermarket Wheels?

Can the TPMS sensors used in the 2011 trucks be programmed for lower than stock tire pressures? I'm about to have my 37" toyos mounted on new wheels and I'm trying to decide if its worth the cost to have the sensors pulled out of the stock wheels to use in the new ones. If I am going to get the low pressure light anyway, it seems pointless to have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I switched mine out and never had to change anything and no light
Old 07-09-2010, 02:28 PM

i changed mine and the damn light has been off every since... took it to ford and they turned the light out.. picked it up and drove maybe 5 miles before the stupis light came back on!
Old 07-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mine comes on all the time. I've decided to just deal with it as I'm using the stock wheels & tires for winter. You'll get used to it.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentless1 View Post
Mine comes on all the time. I've decided to just deal with it as I'm using the stock wheels & tires for winter. You'll get used to it.
Its Government mandated for all vehicle's 2008 and newer to have a TPMS. Don't you just love the Government!! That is just so stupid, do they really have nothing better to do than to mandate a silly tire pressure monitoring system be put on vehicles that only works 1/2 the time?? I HATE TPMS, so cheesy! They never work right. Besides, one of my routines before I hop in my truck is to glance over the tires, check for leaks, etc.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:01 AM

Here is Ford's take http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../11f23og1e.pdf , see page 223. Obviously it isn't always impossible seeing posts above but thumbing through I thought I'd point this out!
Old 07-11-2010, 11:11 AM

The TPMS sensors are calibrated for use in the stock tires, so it might send a light if you use a different pressure in the 37s
Old 07-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
The TPMS sensors are calibrated for use in the stock tires, so it might send a light if you use a different pressure in the 37s
Have not figured out how the sensors work to set reference pressure for the tire.

For example a shop rotated my tires, I drove 4 miles home and then went thru the TPMS procedure in the manual to get the computer to ID which tire was where.

Interesting was I had them rotated and pressures changed at the shop, drove it home 4 miles then did the computer TPMS procedure (page 236). The 80 lbs rear tires were now 65 lbs on the front and did not set off a warning. I thought that the rear tire sensors would have been monitored by the comuter for 80 lbs and at 65 lbs would have hollered till it went thru the TPMS procedure to know the tires changed location.

During the TPMS process after rotation,the computer sure knew when I let air out and sounded the horn acknowledging that tire was at a know location.

The TPMS procedure in the manual says after the computer tells you which tire to let air out to get the sensor ID location for the computer, then air the tire back up to desired pressures, but... talks about unloaded or loaded pressures being your choice.

So I now am wondering if airing up the tire to whatever pressure after the TPMS procedure sets the monitor minimums.

It still does not explain why my tire rotation and the shop changing pressures and location did not holler in the 4 miles home.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:42 AM

They must have solved that problem then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.