Any Towing M.P.Gs??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 07-04-2010, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
SMOKEsgnls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Still tryin 2 figure out
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any Towing M.P.Gs???

Anybody got any real distance towing M.P.Gs figured out on there 2011?

Seen the 6.4s were getting anywhere between 8.5-11 all stock.

One more question think a crew cab would get less milage than a reg cab towing?? anyone know the weight diff.??
SMOKEsgnls is offline  
post #2 of 32 Old 07-05-2010, 05:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 62
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
After a 5600mi trip, 4565 with 30ft 5th wheel, through the west, mountains, wind, trying to drive 65 when possible here are the actual mileage figures I have. These are all actual miles and gallons bought.

mileage gals dist mpg
1944 35.6 350 9.8 \ 30-40mph headwinds
2254 32.5 310 9.5 / across Ok,Tx,Nm
2506 21.9 252 11.5
2707 18.5 201 10.9
3076 33.1 369 11.1
3428 32.7 352 10.8
3895 33.9 467 13.8 no trailer
4284 30.3 389 12.8 part trail.
4607 30.0 323 10.8
4980 31.3 373 11.9

5318 24.0 \
5435 16.7 / Part tank
40.7 455 11.2

5792 30.8 357 11.6
6180 33.3 388 11.7
6617 36.3 437 12.0
6923 26.6 306 11.5
7280 30.6 357 11.7
Not wanting to start any arguments just reporting true facts. This is about 15-20% better than my old 6.0 so am tickled to death with the truck.

'11KR cclb 6.7l, Tough Bed, Tailgate step, 5th wheel prep, Tuxedo black, black interior, Retrax bed cover, Reese Signature Hitch, tinting, rain guards

traded '05 Lariet sclb psd Retrax bed cover

Pulling- '06 Wildcat 29RLBS
cherokee is offline  
post #3 of 32 Old 07-05-2010, 06:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Whoa Cherokee, thanks for the detailed report!!

How heavy is your 5th wheel? 10-12 MPG isn't bad at all, and you've only got 7k miles on her. Hopefully as it gets broke in more you'll see more of a constant above 12 MPG, maybe 12.5.

I'd like to know...In that amount of miles you drove while towing, how much urea did you go through? That extra 15-20% fuel savings in probably being used up on urea. Just another reason to buy a programmer, I can't imagine what kind of MPG's these trucks will get with all the emissions crap cut off.
Strokker is offline  
post #4 of 32 Old 07-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 62
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5th wheel abt 11k, put in 5gal of DEF. Talked to dealer about DEF usage, he agreed it seemed more than Ford has stated and he is asking them about it. Mileage does seem to be getting better as it wears in. One factor remains, it takes energy to get weight moving! Start/stop really kills mileage, even when taking off as easy as practical.

'11KR cclb 6.7l, Tough Bed, Tailgate step, 5th wheel prep, Tuxedo black, black interior, Retrax bed cover, Reese Signature Hitch, tinting, rain guards

traded '05 Lariet sclb psd Retrax bed cover

Pulling- '06 Wildcat 29RLBS
cherokee is offline  
post #5 of 32 Old 07-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 297
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokker View Post
I'd like to know...In that amount of miles you drove while towing, how much urea did you go through? That extra 15-20% fuel savings in probably being used up on urea. Just another reason to buy a programmer, I can't imagine what kind of MPG's these trucks will get with all the emissions crap cut off.
So it looks like cherokee has put in ~500 gallons of diesel over the course of his log and if even he is only getting 10% better mileage 5 gallons of DEF is still going to be considerably cheaper than the 50 gallons of diesel he did not have to buy.
jasonmt is offline  
post #6 of 32 Old 07-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmt View Post
So it looks like cherokee has put in ~500 gallons of diesel over the course of his log and if even he is only getting 10% better mileage 5 gallons of DEF is still going to be considerably cheaper than the 50 gallons of diesel he did not have to buy.
Yeah your right there. For some reason I was thinking he was going to go through alot more DEF. But thats right on par to what Ford says. Regular driving need to fill DEF every other oil change, alot more often if towing. 5000 miles on 5 gallons of DEF sounds right towing a 5th wheel. Figure 5 bucks a gallon or whatever it is, thats only $25 (heard Pilot or other truck stops sells it for around $3-5 gallon though?) Well now I know DEF won't be a expensive thing to keep topped off, its just going to be a extra thing to do. I'd still buy a programmer when they come out and delete it.
Strokker is offline  
post #7 of 32 Old 07-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
5th wheel abt 11k, put in 5gal of DEF. Talked to dealer about DEF usage, he agreed it seemed more than Ford has stated and he is asking them about it. Mileage does seem to be getting better as it wears in. One factor remains, it takes energy to get weight moving! Start/stop really kills mileage, even when taking off as easy as practical.

What gear ratio and rim size does your truck have?
Strokker is offline  
post #8 of 32 Old 07-06-2010, 02:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 62
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The DEF is working out to about 1gal/1000mi, and Flying J has it for $10.99/2.5gal.
Have 3.55/18" wheels.
The 1/2 full came on at 7200 miles, waiting for the less than 800mi message to see if dealer will fill it up. They claimed they had no info on free DEF fillup.

'11KR cclb 6.7l, Tough Bed, Tailgate step, 5th wheel prep, Tuxedo black, black interior, Retrax bed cover, Reese Signature Hitch, tinting, rain guards

traded '05 Lariet sclb psd Retrax bed cover

Pulling- '06 Wildcat 29RLBS
cherokee is offline  
post #9 of 32 Old 07-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas Baby!!
Posts: 300
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I got to pull my boat trailer this past weekend. This was the first time with the new truck. I have pulled this same trailer over this same 320 mile route since 1988 with 4 of my gas trucks, one gas truck of a friend's and two of my diesel trucks.
All of the gas trucks got 8mpg pulling this rig. My H2 Hummer got 9mpg pulling it. I always though that was because the H2 made a bigger hole in the air and this boat is not that heavy but does have a lot of air drag.

My other diesel was a 2001 Dmax with very little smog equipment on it even when new. That truck pulled this boat at 12mpg time after time. The new Ford pulled it at 10.6mpg. The weather was normal, I drove same speeds as always and the whole trip was as normal as it gets.

The 6.7 had plenty of power but did downshift on cruise control at 3 grades where the Dmax never did. I think this is because of the Ford 6 speed where the GM truck was just a 5 speed Allison at the time. I had to discuss the comparison with the wife a little because it has been a few years since the Dmax was stock. In a nutshell, I would say both of these diesel trucks are very close in pulling power stock. I also think a newer Dmax with smog equipment installed would get similar mileage or maybe worse than the Ford does.

I also pull a 5500 lb. empty toy hauler (reciever hitch) and this new Ford gets 9.5mpg pulling it. I have no other data on this trailer so I can not compare with it.

All of my mpg numbers are hand calculated. The lie-O-meter says things are much better than this.


2012 F450 Ultimate Lariat pkg, 4X4, FX4, 5th wheel prep, camper pkg, 40console40 seat, Ingot Silver and Black guts
Reese Elite 18k 5th wheel
BedRug liner
DuraFlap flaps all 4 corners
60 gal aux tank in bed
7.4 mpg as shown @ 70mph and 25740 lbs gross!!

2012 Fuzion FZ310 Monster Edition Toy Hauler 12,500 dry 16,500 loaded to play. 3100/3500 pin weight

Breast feeding is a hard habit to quit
mowdoc is offline  
post #10 of 32 Old 07-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
rpc0340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nampa
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2011 MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
After a 5600mi trip, 4565 with 30ft 5th wheel, through the west, mountains, wind, trying to drive 65 when possible here are the actual mileage figures I have. These are all actual miles and gallons bought.

mileage gals dist mpg
1944 35.6 350 9.8 \ 30-40mph headwinds
2254 32.5 310 9.5 / across Ok,Tx,Nm
2506 21.9 252 11.5
2707 18.5 201 10.9
3076 33.1 369 11.1
3428 32.7 352 10.8
3895 33.9 467 13.8 no trailer
4284 30.3 389 12.8 part trail.
4607 30.0 323 10.8
4980 31.3 373 11.9

5318 24.0 \
5435 16.7 / Part tank
40.7 455 11.2

5792 30.8 357 11.6
6180 33.3 388 11.7
6617 36.3 437 12.0
6923 26.6 306 11.5
7280 30.6 357 11.7
Not wanting to start any arguments just reporting true facts. This is about 15-20% better than my old 6.0 so am tickled to death with the truck.
Cherokee: thanks for the precise info. I bought a new 2009 (6.4L) in April and have only towed twice (in Idaho: hills, mountains, etc.) about 250 miles both times. I pulled a Cougar 5er (about 7,500 lbs.) and got 11.1 and 11.3 mpg. Seems like there is not a lot of mpg difference in towing between the 6.4L and the 6.7L.


Bob - Nampa, Idaho
2009 F-250 6.4L XLT CC
rpc0340 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome