14,000 miles in 2 months with an abusive streak! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
14,000 miles in 2 months with an abusive streak!

I just finished a 1660 mile roadtrip pulling my 8k trailer averaging 72 mph moving time per Garmin from Mempis into Montana, with the various grades. It was a 'time was of the essence' trip, the 7-11 mpgs were the result of cruising 76-82 on flat, up grades, into 35 mph headwinds. I had a deadline, never backed out of it unless stopping for fuel, or waiting on traffic. Oil temp hit 242 , tranny temp hit 226 in 95 degree temps bucking 35 mph headwinds. Cruising up a grade (posted 6%, truck said 2%) with an 8k load was uneventful, except for the downshift to fifth. Left cruise control on 98% of the time, set at 80, it varied from 77-81 in the mountains, downshifting to pick up the mphs as needed. Overall...worked just like it was supposed to...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2010, 11:46 AM

Those temps seem pretty high. Otherwise, it sounds like your 6.7 is hanging Ford tough.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richc22a View Post
tranny temp hit 226 in 95 degree temps bucking 35 mph headwinds.
Does your truck have an external tranny cooler?? Cause those temps are pretty high!! If your truck doesn't have a cooler get one put on there ASAP!! With these types of conditions I would highly recommend to change your fluid every 30-50k miles. I wouldn't go 100k like what Ford says, maybe if the temps never go over 170 degrees.

But besides that, it sounds like this new motor is definitely a performer. Wonder what the EGT's where, especially with all the emissions equipment and whatnot.

Last edited by Strokker; 07-06-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:10 PM

I thought that the SD tranmissions had external coolers? Maybe he needs a larger unit?
Old 07-06-2010, 09:38 PM

These trucks are designed to be work trucks, a one ton truck that is plush, still is a one ton truck. I know that I am supposed to use common sense in operating it... but that "wonder how it will hold up running hard for an extended time" question popped up!!! I watched the temps close, and when I backed out a little, the temps dropped rapidly. The truck never exhibited any hesitation, always responded when prompted. One incline, slowed for the corner at the bottom, then went wot till I hit bout 75 up the hill. I was impressed, I had a 7.3 I broke in running hard, other than maintainance, and replacing the typical items in 300k plus, it ran great until it was totalled at 340k.
I had been told by an old mechanic, 'break it in the way you want to drive it'. And the only vehicles I have ever had difficulty with were the ones I babied...
Old 07-07-2010, 04:52 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
you said you were towing, any idea what kind of weight you were hauling?
Old 07-07-2010, 05:00 AM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

reread the post.it says 8k trailer aka 8000lbs
Old 07-07-2010, 10:28 AM

Towing speeds and hilly country seem to put your truck right in the target zone........How many times have you had to add the DEF.....I have added 15-gallons in 10,000 miles.........
Old 07-07-2010, 08:16 PM

14,000 + miles, I have added about 10 gallons, and it is under 1/2 now. I used quite a bit idling it all day when I was in the Mississippi heat...
Old 07-08-2010, 03:21 PM

Dam that sounds sweet towing 8k with no prob. DEF is there any way to work around it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.