ambulance 6.7 or gas engine - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 09:00 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ambulance 6.7 or gas engine

i maintain about 16 ambulances most have 6.0 and have lots of problems,about haft the running time is idloing.we been getting about 150000 then replacing the engines do to metal from cam/lifters,we looked at the new 6.7 can't fit it in the E'S SHOULD WE GO WITH A GAS ENGINE.with all the idloing time we have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
can you go back to the 7.3s? far as i know, i was told that there isnt a way to stick a 6.7/6.4 in the E series. would be BA if they did.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i have a 5.4 in my truck and leave it idling all day while i'm out working.. it has a idle up feature were it idles to just a shade under 1000 rpm or at it in order to keep cool.. in the heat of the day with a/c running wide open the temp gauge never moves.. idk about long term effects but i hope this in some way helps
Old 06-28-2010, 02:04 PM

Nothing wrong with a gasser, the days of not being able to idle over extended periods of time are pretty much gone. Just think of all the hundreds of thousands of cop cars, the 4.6L Crown Victories. Them things idle all day and get the snot beat out of them, not to mention most of the cops know nothing about cars and are very neglectful to them, they just run em till they don't run no more. Then after they are done with cop business they go on to be a Taxi Cab where they idle all day as well.

I don't see why it would hurt a gas engine to idle all day. As long as its at normal operating temperatures, there is essentially no difference between highway driving and idling, you just trade off miles for engine idle hours.

On the other hand, why can't you just order a bunch of Regular cab long bed trucks, then take the bed off them and put the ambulance box on back? Its done all the time with service trucks. I also see a ton of box trucks with the truck super duty front end, its a regualr cab though (seen crew cabs before) Is there a reason why you need the van?

IMO I'd stay with diesel. There's other things to worry about besides idle time. While gassers are pretty tough now-a-days they still won't replace a diesel.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:46 PM

That's dumb that they can't fit the 6.4 or the 6.7 in the E-series. Who makes your ambulances? Wheeled Coached? If its feasible I would start trading in for type ones they will have the newer diesels for sure since its the truck chassis. My dad used to be in the ambulance business and he always favored those. I saw a type 3 the other day and it was a chevy with the Duramax and it looked like a pretty sweet rig maybe go that route. And legally you can't swap out for 7.3. Unless they are all 2003 models since that model year had both engines otherwise your S.O.L. stuck with 6 liter.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:48 PM

On the other hand, why can't you just order a bunch of Regular cab long bed trucks, then take the bed off them and put the ambulance box on back?

Has to have the Ambulance prep package from Ford.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Order type 1's
Old 06-30-2010, 08:21 PM

the E's have an opening in the middle of the seat to get in the box quicker.that would have to be a gasser.the reg cab we can get with the 6.7 but will have to go out the cab and in the box from the outside, the emt's don't know if they like that.are truck all have the bigger box on them and are about 14000 POUNDS.WOULD A GASSER PULL IT.yes no maybe??
Old 06-30-2010, 09:00 PM

The reg cab truck could be modified to accommodate moving from the cab to the box without going outside...
Old 06-30-2010, 09:01 PM
Serving Our Country!

Sure the Ford V-10 would do a fine job of pulling those big boxes around, their in a lot of big motorhomes.
Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.