Integrated exhaust brake with tow-haul - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Integrated exhaust brake with tow-haul

A review in pickuptrucks.com mentioned they could not discern when the exhaust brake was in use in Tow Haul mode.

I have also noted I can not tell it is workng in Tow Haul or Tow Haul turned off with the transmission locked in a gear. I have tested the truck empty and also with 9000 lbs in tow down hills. It does step down in gears by braking in Tow Haul, but never feel or hear an exhaust brake.

Lock the tranny in say 4th on a hill and switch tow haul in and out, see if you hear or feel the exhaust brake effect coming in.

Anybody else able to note any difference?

I'm now wondering if I need it checked out or... is it in use with and without Tow Haul switched in but very mild effect, certainly not like other exhaust brakes I've had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2010, 04:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It uses the VGT in the turbo to create back pressure.
Holds the upshift and shuts the fuel off when the brakes are applied and the speed is still increasing.

Tow/Haul Mode
• Tow/Haul mode with Integrated Exhaust Brake
(6.7L diesel only) gives drivers even greater
control when traveling downhill
• Helps eliminate unwanted gear search
on steep grades and allows engine braking
to maintain vehicle speed and control
on down grades

Helps reduce the use of service brakes,
lengthening service intervals and
minimizing maintenance costs

Integrated Exhaust Brake
• This big-rig inspired feature is part of the
Tow/Haul mode functionality
• The Power Stroke® engine calibration
automatically adjusts the exhaust
back pressure, so this feature is a
seamless operation to the customer
• Improves trailer control by increasing engine
exhaust back pressure to help slow the vehicle
without generating additional heat in the
brakes or transmission components
Old 06-10-2010, 04:34 AM

I can't tell when it is "exhaust braking" either.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by M90Ranger View Post
It uses the VGT in the turbo to create back pressure.
Holds the upshift and shuts the fuel off when the brakes are applied and the speed is still increasing.

Tow/Haul Mode
• Tow/Haul mode with Integrated Exhaust Brake
(6.7L diesel only) gives drivers even greater
control when traveling downhill
• Helps eliminate unwanted gear search
on steep grades and allows engine braking
to maintain vehicle speed and control
on down grades

Helps reduce the use of service brakes,
lengthening service intervals and
minimizing maintenance costs

Integrated Exhaust Brake

Yep that is what the brochure says, but can you feel any difference of an exhaust brake being switched in or out?

If you lock the tranny in say 4th and going down hill, try this: turn Tow Haul feature on and off, no difference noted here on an exhaust brake being in effect.

The type of exhaust brake describes using the turbo (VGT) is the same as in a Cummins but in my Cummins you can definitely feel it in. That makes me wonder if my PS is working correctly and the review article also mentioned it was not notable. I would like to sense it switched in and was wondering if others also noted no change.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The truck has to be increasing in speed with the brakes applied before the "exhaust brake" will work. Switching between tow haul will not automatically cause it to come on. Next time you are going down hill leave it in OD tow haul on and lightly press the brake pedal. The transmission should automatically downshift and the truck will start slowing down. You should not hear anything.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
The truck has to be increasing in speed with the brakes applied before the "exhaust brake" will work. Switching between tow haul will not automatically cause it to come on. Next time you are going down hill leave it in OD tow haul on and lightly press the brake pedal. The transmission should automatically downshift and the truck will start slowing down. You should not hear anything.
Haven't heard or read about the need to be increasing in speed with brakes on to get the exhaust brake to work.

I would rather it just come on in Tow Haul mode even if I am slowing without brakes applied in any gear.

I can be in Tow Haul mode on a steep downhill with load and braking or in the same gear braking without Tow Haul switched in and both feel the same resistance on the downhill.

I am used to my other truck exhaust brake being very noticable any gear and speed increasing not being required.

Has anybody else felt any exhaust brake difference switched in or out, not just the slowing by shifting down and brake application in Tow Haul?

I have switched the Tow Haul in and it has shifted down while braking as it should. Puzzling was I never could feel any difference in over 3000 miles towing 9000 lbs when I turned the Tow Haul off while remaining in the same lower gear with brakes being applied continuing down the hill.

I'll give it another go increasing speed from a downhill with brakes on in Tow Haul mode, then switching Tow Haul out and brakes still applied remaining in the same gear and see if its noticable. It should be as effective as other trucks exhaust brake.

If no noticable change in braking effect, I may need to head on over to the dealer.

So far I have gotten a few ancedotal responses of how it's supposed to work according to literature/manuals, etc., however only one response from another 2011 PS owner signature who also found no difference in Tow Haul mode in or out regarding exhaust braking.

Last edited by Les-in-AK; 06-12-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:40 AM

I'm with ya on how it "should feel", but in both of our 2011 trucks I can't really tell. I'm thinking this is how it works, sorry.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
I'm with ya on how it "should feel", but in both of our 2011 trucks I can't really tell. I'm thinking this is how it works, sorry.
I found a short mention of the level of applying brakes sets the E Brake level on page 285 of the manual.
Also that even with the tranny in D without Tow Haul manually on, the computer with frequent braking will turn on Tow Haul and stay there.

However... there evidently is no E Braking unless your on the brakes in Tow Haul and how much E-Braking you get assisted with depends on how hard on the binders :-0

Unfortunate as it's nice in other trucks to turn on the E Brake and slow down on downhills or the level without riding or touching the brakes. Wish Ford would do a firmware update and place the E-Brake on in Tow Haul mode without riding brakes, in fact that would save pads.

Manually switching it in like Cummins since 2001, and feel it working regardless if downshifted would be so much more effective. The Cummins can take the full back pressure of E-Braking, you would think this engine is just as capable.

I'd be early in line to have Ford burn and update Tow Haul mode bringing in E-Brake without riding the brakes

Last edited by Les-in-AK; 06-15-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:42 PM

When going downhill in t/h mode and cruise control it will hold speed to 3/4mph over set speed. When you get on the brakes you can feel it assisting. When you let off brakes and no cruise it will start picking up speed until cruise is re-engaged.
Works a little different than my '05, buts works.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:22 PM

Integrated Exhaust Brake

The exhaust brake is to be 'seamless', meaning it's transition in and out of operation is to be without being noticable. Sounds like they were successful! My dad's log trucks jake brake was very noticable, you could not have heard the am radio. The Dodge e/b is noticable, but cannot control a trailer downhill like the Ford. The new Duromax e/b is noticeable per the new drive report, but I think the point is being missed. It was NOT designed to be noticeable, the evidence will be in the ability to negotiate a long downhill with a heavy load without riding the brakes, or stressing control. All the first drive reports were stating that this operation was an outstanding success.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.