No 5th wheel in a short bed?!? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No 5th wheel in a short bed?!?

Just read a review on Edmunds where someone bought a 2011 SD short bed and the dealer is now telling him that he can not install a 5th wheel hitch. Only on the long beds, even said FOMOCO is saying the same thing. Anyone heard of this? Anyone had a 5th wheel installed on a short bed? I know the factory hitch option is only available on the long bed but it makes no sense you can't install a B&W or Reese on a short bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 07:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

What my dealer told me was the factory 5th wheel hitch was only available on the long bed. On the short bed they could install it as a dealer option, but cost was pretty high as I recall.

And obviously you can install an after market 5th wheel hitch. There eithther is a misprint or a misunderstanding.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:14 AM

I have a fifth wheel in my 05 short bed.
they are probly just dodging any liability in case they remove the cab in a tight up or downhill curve..... I've seen cabs dented, back glasses busted and many bedsides destroyed.........
Old 06-09-2010, 08:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah that was what I was thinking. Made no sense you can't instll one. Here is his quote:

"Just found out after buying a 60,000 dollar 2011 superduty that i cannot mount any 5th wheel or goose neck hitch at this time. on a short bed this is through my dealership talking to ford engineers. they are working on the problem. please alert potential buyers now."

That is main reason I am buying one, to tow a 5th wheel toyhauler. So just wanted to be sure.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:20 AM

Its all reliability. You can use a 5th wheel, Ford just can't sell it or say you can.

Imagine if they intalled a 5th wheel and someone busted up the cab? They would be coming back at Ford. This way its up to the customer.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, the official setup is that they have the gooseneck/5th wheel prep pkg available for the longbed--not the shortbed--as a factory installed option. You can (and I have seen enough to say so) put a 5th wheel/gn hitch on a s/b--it does give you a shorter distance between the hitch and your rear window, somewhat changing your turning radius, but I have sold to many a customer who utilizes their s/b for 5th wheel.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Its a misunderstanding guys. The FACTORY option is available only in the longbed.

Because the factory option doesnt include a slider 5th wheel

You can put in an aftermarket one
Old 06-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My friend who has a 2011, Shortbed, F=250, he had a "Slider Hitch" installed in his truck. This was a aftermarket installation and he has not has any problems yet, the truck is a month old. Just because Ford does not install a hitch in a shortbed truck does not mean it can not or should not be done.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That is exactly what I thought, just not what that guy had posted. I was looking for a slider anyway.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Premium Member

5th wheel hitch

I pull my 5th wheel with my 2008 with no problems. I installed myself with no problems. You will need a Slider Hitch as was mentioned already. I sure there is no difference in the 2011. My hitch was a 16000lb rating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.