Motorcraft DEF Fluid - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010, 05:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
Motorcraft DEF Fluid

Part Number
Package Size

Dispenser
PM-27-1G
1-gallon Bottle

Fast fill, no spill nozzle
PM-27-J
2.5-gallon Jug

Fast fill, no spill nozzle
PM-27-D
55-gallon Drum

Available from Rotunda
PM-27-T
275-gallon Tote

Available from Rotunda

WHAT IS DEF?
A non-hazardous clear fluid (67% deionized water / 33% chemically pure Urea) that is injected into the diesel exhaust system to reduce NOx emissions.
WHY DEF?

* Required for the 2011 model year F-Super Duty 6.7L Ford diesel to meet 2010 EPA emission regulations
* For use with competitive make vehicles using a SCR (selective catalytic reduction) system
* The majority of diesel (light and heavy duty) manufacturers will use DEF to meet the new requirements

DISPENSING EQUIPMENT

* 1-gallon bottles and 2.5-gallon jugs come with a fast fill, no spill, nozzle supplied with each package.
* 55-gallon drums and 275-gallon totes will require specialized pumping equipment offered by Rotunda.

ROTUNDA DEF DISPENSING EQUIPMENT OFFERINGS

Description

256-00167

DEF 55 Gallon Drum Dispensing System Electric

256-00168

Dispensing System - Electric

FAQ
Why use Motorcraft DEF?
Motorcraft DEF is API certified meeting ISO22241 which is the only fluid approved and recommended by Ford Motor Company. Inferior product may result in costly damage to the SCR system. System damage as a result of inferior fluid is not eligible for warranty reimbursement.
How is the vehicle filled with DEF?
The fluid is supplied through a fill port located next to the diesel fuel fill port; it has a blue cap clearly marked for diesel exhaust fluid.
What is the capacity of the vehicle DEF tank?
The DEF tanks have a five to six gallon tank capacity, depending on the vehicle configuration.
How frequently will DEF need to be replenished?
The system is designed to last approximately 7,500 miles between fill ups, coinciding with the oil & filter change interval. However depending on customer use, replenishment may need to occur more frequently.
Is there a DEF tank level gauge?
The vehicle instrument cluster will provide indication of fluid level in the DEF tank, as well as provide warning messages when the DEF is low and needs to be refilled.
Can the vehicle be operated without DEF?
The vehicle will not operate properly without DEF. When the vehicle DEF monitoring system detects no DEF is available, the vehicle initially goes into a speed limiting mode and then progresses into an idle only mode.
How should DEF inventory be stored?
DEF should be stored out of direct sunlight in temperatures between 23F and 86F (-5C and 30C)

* Freezing point is 12F (-11C)
* Prolonged storage at higher temperatures will cause DEF to breakdown reducing shelf life
o Storing DEF at 86F reduces shelf life to approximately 12 months

Can DEF freeze in the vehicle?
Yes. However, Ford Motor Company vehicles have a tank and line heater to ensure the vehicle operates in extremely cold climates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2010, 09:21 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My understadning is that all DEF is the same. My concern is how long it will last at high temps like the summers that we have here in the southwest. Can you drain the DEF tank and repalce the DEF with fresh fluid after a hot summer? Sounds like maybe that should be an option.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:51 AM

I'm with BlueF350.

I see the DEF can be stored up to 86 degrees F for a year. It gets to over 110 around here. How long is the shelf life at that temp?? If it is still a year I think we will be OK because I change oil before then.

I guess we shouldn't buy any DEF until we need to add. My garage is over 86f 9 months a year!!

mowdoc
Old 05-26-2010, 10:03 AM

Agreed but it would seem like being able to drain and replace would be good preventive maintenance after a HOT summer. I wouldn't want to get stranded somewhere because the DEF wasn't up to spec and the system shuts down.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:33 PM

What kind of prices are the consumers lookin at havin shoved down their throats for this epa miracle tonic? In that 7,500 mile interval does the truck consume the entire capacity??

I like these new rigs and I sure wish Ford the best of luck building their own in house 'stroke but for the sake of the direction we have allowed this country to go I will not support these new engines by purchasing one because then I will have comprimised my integrity, beliefs and let the government win.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:01 PM

Is there a heater in the def line and tank?

Here in the N.C Mountains, we regularly have winter days where it does not get above 0 to 5 degrees during the day during upslope snow events.

Certainly don't want to be stranded due a frozen def tank when the def freezes at 12degress.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharrell View Post
Is there a heater in the def line and tank?

Here in the N.C Mountains, we regularly have winter days where it does not get above 0 to 5 degrees during the day during upslope snow events.

Certainly don't want to be stranded due a frozen def tank when the def freezes at 12degress.
From the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrannan19 View Post

Can DEF freeze in the vehicle?
Yes. However, Ford Motor Company vehicles have a tank and line heater to ensure the vehicle operates in extremely cold climates.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Who sells the motorcraft DEF besides the dealership? I'd rather not pay double the price for it.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:23 PM

Just buy it at a truck stop or alot of fuel stations have it Now. DEF is DEF no matter what brand.

The DEF system is not bad but it still sucks. It works wonders on our OTR trucks and it uses about 1 gallon of DEF to around 2-3 gallons of fuel. You should it enough to not worry about the need to drain and replace ir in truck

Beamed in from the Death Star with lasers and sh*t
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.