Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.7 Diesel Test Drive...

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Cutty72 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I was in Salt Lake City yesterday (getting my lift put on), and decided to check out another 2011 SD over at Larry Miller Ford LM. I brought my camera this time, actually these are all cell phone pics. I also got to drive it this time :woot:

The truck was an XLT, 4WD, 6.7 PSD, Crew Cab Long box F350. The manager was driving the King Ranch they had, so the XLT had to do :dunno: :thumb:

When I first started the truck, it actually was a little loud for a minute. It almost sounded like a cummins. However, after it warmed up a tiny bit it quieted right down. Even when I was revving it up and down, you could hardly tell, just a slight bit of extra diesel clatter, and I mean slight!

I actually did notice a bit of lag here and there, but it is similar to what a stock 6.4 does when you go to punch it. In other words, I am not so sure it is turbo lag, as much as it is in the programming to prevent excessive soot. However, this thing has PLENTY of stock power, and the engine sounds quiet and refined. Although, I am not so sure that it is that much quieter than a stock 6.4. The 6 speed trans seems pretty amazing, and shifts very smooth. I also used the manual mode a bit, and it works very well, and shifts fairly quickly.

I reset the MPG gauge before I took the truck anywhere. I had it out for quite a while. I took it on the freeway, city streets, some stop and go. The gauge never got above 13 MPG, but I am sure it would improve on long steady drives.

The ride quality did not seem any better than my 08, in fact they felt about the same. However, I did notice a little less wind noise entering the cab. I am not sure how much less because I didn't pay that close attention. I just noticed it seemed quieter inside.

The front of the truck still needs to grow on me some, I think it is a bit odd. But that is just my opinion. The headlights are massive! The interior, and exterior are only slightly different from the 08-10 MY. I did notice a bit of extra sheet metal at the bottom of the beds, where the bars attach to the lower part of the bed. You can see what I mean in one of the pics (the shot of the rear wheel well. I also took the time to look at the front of the bed, to see if ford finally strengthened the front of the box. You know, where it is so easy to ram your 4 wheeler a little too hard, and which then easily dents the bed into the cab. Well, it's the same still, just a folded over single piece of sheet metal :dunno:

And before I forget, the engine compartment is CRAMPED!! And the new turn signal is strange, but is easy to get used to.

Sorry for the long winded write up, I was just trying to give as much detail as possible. I definitely like the truck a lot! Is it worth me trading in my perfectly good running 6.4 for? I think not :thumb:

See less See more
#2 ·

#4 ·
Standard on Lariat and up, on the XLT it is optional, you must add the XLT premium package, which also adds all the chrome crap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.