Hydro vs. Vacuum boost - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 03:45 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hydro vs. Vacuum boost

Ok, so the new F-250's will have vacuum boost brakes, and the F-350's and up will have hydroboost brakes, from what I've read.

So what are the pros and cons of each?
I know the OBS's had vacuum boost, and the super duties have all had hydroboost (as far as I know)

Why did Ford go back to vacuum? Is there an advantage to it?

Is a guy better off spending the extra $500-1000 to get the F-350 and deal with a slightly more harsh ride to get the hydroboost brakes?

Enlighten me oh wise ones!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Buy the F350. The hydroboost must be superior or Ford wouldn't use it in the bigger GVW trucks. Power is great,but.... braking is essential.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:22 AM

In regard to the ride: after studying the spring specs for a good long while, I don't think there will be much (if any) difference in the empty ride quality among the SRW trucks. The front springs are identical in all of the CCSB SRW diesel trucks. They all have the 5600 pound front springs. I haven't studied the other configurations, but they are probably the same also. Only if you get the heavy service package, the camper package, or the snow plow package do the front springs get stiffer, at 6000 pounds. The rear springs are rated in 3 stages, each getting stiffer than the last as the load is increased. The only significant differences are when you go from a SRW to a DRW, then the springs get a lot more stiff in all 3 stages. Or, in the last stage on the SRW trucks: the 250 with the camper package, or the 350. I think the difference is that those trucks have that extra leaf that contacts the bumper/pads on the frame when load is increased.

As far as the brake booster, I've always thought the hydroboost was better because there is no diaphragm to rot out and because they are a more heavy-duty design. Thus they are on the 350 and not the 250. I was leaning towards getting a 250 before I learned of the brake difference. Now I'm leaning more towards a 350 if a test drive and examination of the rear springs confirms that the ride is pretty much the same.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:27 AM

Get a long bed. If you're gonna buy a shortbed, just buy a mustang.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ive delt with vac brakes failing when pulling a loaded trailer. its scary chit. i WILL spend the extra money on hydro brakes.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:49 PM

Excellent post and excellent responses. I had this very same question and now I know that my 2011 SD will be a F350.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.