So, Techies, Cab off for heads, gaskets, or not? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So, Techies, Cab off for heads, gaskets, or not?

I am waiting to decide on a new one next year or not... I would have to go F-550 to get the big running gear and brakes I have, and would lose the King Ranch interior I like.... Not only do I have a great new 2009 F-450 KR 4x4, but the new F-450 has some serious things I don't like, besides that I feel the 6.7 is unproven and we need 12 months of the road to really say something that is not wishful thinking...

I cannot get over the Fugliest Fender design in history for the Dually.
Half sliced doughnuts stuck on?? But if I get a 550 for the big gear, I will have to go Lariat and Cab Chassis anyway so "West Coast Hauler" style 5th wheel, so that fixes that... And they downgraded the running gear on the F-450, smaller diff, smaller brakes, smaller wheels, What da Freak is that??? Anyway 550 does the job... Fuel economy is not enough to change, not only the changeover costs, but with a SPARTAN 210 TOW I am getting GREAT fuel economy already at 14-16 mpg empty, and 11 mpg towing 8 ton.... F-450 at 5 ton with gear on it, 430 rear Diff...

So, Techies, can you pull the heads for a major maintenance HG job, without pulling the cab? It looks like the Turbo can come off OK from the front..

If so then maybe, but so far I cannot see ANY advantages, only down sides...? I may have the LAST OF THE MOHICANS in the Big Running Gear and Brakes of the F-450 King Ranch that will no longer be available. If I am not going to change over I might buy up a stock of spare parts, maybe even a spare engine.. I can always sell them if I change over in the future...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 05:31 PM

With the new motor going back to 6 bolts per cylinder, hopefully head gasket issues will be a thing of the past.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:54 PM

OK, but longer term maybe the old fashioned valve grind or something... The point is can it be done without taking the cab off?

I have added air suspension over, hydraulic over Air Brakes, and a lot more and cab off would be tough,,,
Old 03-30-2010, 04:15 AM

Yes you can do it with cab on,only if your going to pull the engine will the cab have to come off..
Old 03-30-2010, 02:38 PM

Thank you Rutcutter.

On the Compliance for these trucks in Australia, virtually the whole front clip has to come off to do the new steering for right hand drive, new dash, swap sides of AC and Master Cylinder and all the rest...

It looks to me, that since I have all the added controls, gauges, switches, and air lines for in cab air suspension adjustment and air Brakes, that taking off the front clip and pulling engine and transmission out the front would be easier than pulling the cab.. Sound right to you?

Do you agree? You have the luck of seeing these new ones first hand. On my end, I am relying on you Guys for the information... I could sort of use an F-550 with a 10' Tray, "West Coast Hauler" sort of Rig. And if the engine access advantages weigh in favor, it is another reason to get the new 6.7 with the better fuel economy and turbo/engine access. Otherwise, I will stick with the new 09 F-450..

Thank you for your help,
from Australia
Old 03-31-2010, 10:18 PM

To me it sounds like you already have an awesome truck! Why bother getting the new one?
Old 04-01-2010, 01:11 PM

The Why of getting a new one?
With my 31' Gooseneck Horsefloat and four horses on board, with all the tools and fuel and goodies I carry, I am up on my maximum vehicle weight...

Besides all my own gear in competing horses for the NRHA, I also support all the Riding for the Disabled on the Sunshine Coast, and maintain a 30 acre property for them, as well as a crew at Bushtracker my Company build off-road trailers. I have a fuel tank on the back, stainless boxes, roll out tool trays, and I service tractors and fuel them up (mowers)....

Anyway, I may NOT upgrade to an F-550 but it would be nice long term to be able to pull heads or turbo in a pinch, as my Cab off Ford Dealers is 2,200 kms away in Melbourne... Not only could I use the extra carrying capacity of a 550 if I cannot ugrade my GVM here with this 450... But longterm due to the remoteness of major service, I would be nice to access my engine for a major...

I LOVE my King Ranch.... But access and weight carrying for a major service body on a cab chassis F-550 would better fill the bill if the 6.7 pans out OK...

Fair question, deserves a fair answer, my situation here on the last Frontier is a bit unique....
Old 04-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutcutter View Post
Yes you can do it with cab on,only if your going to pull the engine will the cab have to come off..

Cylinder Heads are listed in the "In-Vehicle Repair" section.

However.

Cylinder heads are listed in the "In-Vehicle Repair" section of the 6.0 and 6.4 manual, also.

Just my .02
Old 04-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Powerstroke Techie

And there's already a TSB out on the 2011 trucks, also. LOL.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Angry Hillbilly View Post
And there's already a TSB out on the 2011 trucks, also. LOL.

What would that be Hillbilly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.