Using 0-30w oil in a diesel? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 06:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Using 0-30w oil in a diesel?

One thing I don't like about this new engine, is the idea of using 0-30w oil. It will result in slightly less friction and better mileage, but I would think the better mileage would come at the cost of engine life because the thinner oil can't provide the same "cushion" of protection that a thicker oil would. This isn't based on first hand knowledge or experience, but makes sense to me. Thicker oils are also approved and I think that's what I'll use when I get one of these some day. Anyone know more about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 07:32 PM

That viscosity of oil sounds way too thin to me - unless you reside in Alaska.

I've been driving diesel trucks (at work - not my own vehicle) for almost twenty years now, and every one of them has called for "15w-40" motor oil. They run so darn hot that it seems to me that the thin stuff would not be ideal for a compression-ignition engine. Then again, perhaps technology has moved forward a bit. Follow what it says in the owner's guide for the type/weight of motor oil, and then change it (and the oil filter) far more frequently than what they tell you.

FYI: I drove a 2008 Kenworth T-300 today (a rental truck) with a Paccar/Cummins 8.3L turbodiesel and it called for 15w-40 oil, as per a decal on the coolant reservoir. Nice truck!

Last edited by JK23112; 03-26-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:00 PM

The last number in the weight is the equivalent weight, so it is 30 weight. The "0" is for cold pour. Lighter weight oils remove heat faster than heavier oils. Do what the book says,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 03-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

0-30w oil is ONLY used for ever increasing EPA restrictions due to "pollution" and NOT because that's what the motor needs. I would use a thicker oil. Especially if you are towing and live in a warmer climate. Ford is doing this to almost all of their vehicles.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s8v4o View Post
0-30w oil is ONLY used for ever increasing EPA restrictions due to "pollution" and NOT because that's what the motor needs. I would use a thicker oil. Especially if you are towing and live in a warmer climate. Ford is doing this to almost all of their vehicles.
Not so much. The new oils are better lubricants and they transfer heat better. Thick oil is old school........................
Old 03-27-2010, 01:01 PM

Aussie- I would like to see your source for that information. I'm not disagreeing; I just want to learn more about this.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikePilot View Post
One thing I don't like about this new engine, is the idea of using 0-30w oil. It will result in slightly less friction and better mileage, but I would think the better mileage would come at the cost of engine life because the thinner oil can't provide the same "cushion" of protection that a thicker oil would. This isn't based on first hand knowledge or experience, but makes sense to me. Thicker oils are also approved and I think that's what I'll use when I get one of these some day. Anyone know more about this?
Not sure where you heard this as I just read the manual on the 6.7 and it said either 10-30 or 15-40..
Old 03-27-2010, 08:16 PM

Oh, where did you find the manual? I read that "coffee table" book posted on TDS site, and it lists the oils approved for use in the 6.7. It's also listed here in the fourth line down on the first post: specs are up on the ford repair site - Powerstroke Nation
Old 03-28-2010, 07:50 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Some stuff should remain as proprietary information, like the coffee table books.

It bases oil use on TEMPERATURE.

You need 0w30 when it's super cold out.

Page 82 of the coffee table book that everyone is holding to gospel has this info in it, so does the diesel owner's supplement.

It would interest you to know, the 6.7 equipped trucks come with a block heater, but no cord, regardless of destination.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:56 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Angry Hillbilly View Post
Some stuff should remain as proprietary information, like the coffee table books.

It bases oil use on TEMPERATURE.

You need 0w30 when it's super cold out.

Page 82 of the coffee table book that everyone is holding to gospel has this info in it, so does the diesel owner's supplement.

It would interest you to know, the 6.7 equipped trucks come with a block heater, but no cord, regardless of destination.
So does that mean you still need to buy the $75 block heater option, or you think there will be a cheaper price for the cord?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.