UREA EXPLAINATION - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to smokin95psd
UREA EXPLAINATION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I see a lot of people are wanting to know some stuff about Urea, SCR, and DPF in the new trucks. I am a student at a Johnston Community College in NC I grauate in May and We have had numerous seminars on this stuff. Here goes.

The fluid is definiltly the way to go. It is far better than a DPF and EGR alone. The fluid is going to be injected AFTER the DPF in 18 wheelers. I dont know about pickups. It causes a chemical reaction with the ash and burned diesel fuel created during combustion. It causes a chemical reaction and emits nitrogen and water vapor ONLY. It reduces black smoke and causes a cleaner exhaust. All the big manufactures (detroit, cummins, mack, volvo, paccar) all have had trucks in testing since 2003. (The most recent test (since 07) they have reported NO regenerations in over 90,000 miles.) They have been tested by walmart, UPS, fedex, etc. all the big guys. International is not jumping on the SCR (selective catalyst reduction) bangwagon. They have opted to have dual egr's, dual egr coolers, dual VGT turbos. They have a good design but Fuel economy isnt going to pick up like the SCR trucks. They are saying at least a mile per gallon increase in over the road long distance trucks. Also they are going to have a tank with approx. 10% total fuel capacity. A truck can fill up in California drive to NC and if it was possible drive almost half way to europe and back to California and not have to fill the UREA tank. The DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) does freeze at about 12* F.( so DEF tanks are plastic) This in mind they have routed coolant lines to the holding tank to keep it warm. The fill neck also has a magnet in it to open the valve at the fill pump. If you pull out while filling it will cut off spilling about an ounce. (if you use a gallon can you will need a funnel i assume) The fill neck is 5/8" instead of 1" or 1.25" like the fuel. You can not fill the tank with anything but urea. It is dumb to try to "fool" the system. The truck will run without it in the tank but not for long. It gives lights, warnings to tell you to fill it. On big trucks it derates power and max 55 mph until you fill it. If you fill it it clears the codes full power is returned. If you choose to not fill it and run at derate to a stop and cut the truck off, thats it. You have to call a dealer to clear codes and fill tank to restore power.

Urea is not flammable, corrosive, or toxic. Its has an ammonia smell so pets wont bother it either. The stuff has a PH level of 9, the same as baking soda. For those that slept during chemistry, PH 0 is battery acid, a Coke is about PH 3 or 4, water is 7. PH 14 is bleach.

Now the cost: you can buy it in 1 gallon, 2.5 gallon, 55 gallon drum, 275 gallon drum. The cost will vary. REMEMBER IT IS ALL MADE BY BRENNTAG AND DISTRIBUTED BY TERRA!!!!! They are it. ALL UREA IS CREATED EQUAL IF IT HAS THE API (american petroleum institute) LOGO!!! At a BMW dealership it cost about $15.00 a gallon. Walmart pays $1.23 a gallon but they probally buy 1000 gallons at the time. It does have a shelf life but it is at least a year if not longer. Temperature is crutial. Every truck stop will haev it soon. (Flying J, Iowa 40 franchises, any nation wide truck stop already have it.) It is widely available so the I cant find it excuse doesnt work.

The 6.7 powerstroke according to my dealership will run approx. 7500-10000 miles on a full urea tank. LARGELY DEPENDS ON USE OF TRUCK. (TOWN DRIVER versus ALL HIGHWAY HOTSHOTTER or RV TOWER)

Im sorry its so long but i figured i would let on my knowledge.

For more facts about SCR go to: Facts About SCR

Last edited by smokin95psd; 02-19-2010 at 03:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Oilfield Trash

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
this is very good info to have. i have been wanting to get this and when i was at the auto show last year when it was in dallas tx, they couldnt tell me this at all.

but its just another expense to have and to please the green lovers.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:14 PM

I wish we could have a 400 hp 7.3 again. But oh well I think the urea is a lot better than just a DPF and dual egr's. Only time will tell.

ALSO CHECK OUT PICKUPTRUCKS.COM and read the article on the new Toqshift. The 2011 Super Duty is going to be the truck to have!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 06:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to Big K Send a message via MSN to Big K Send a message via Yahoo to Big K
Posting here also.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin95psd View Post
The fluid is definiltly the way to go. It is far better than a DPF and EGR alone. The fluid is going to be injected AFTER the DPF.
Im sorry its so long but i figured i would let on my knowledge.
You might want to research the system on the 6.7 then.....the Fluid is NOT injected AFTER the DPF......

It injects DEF after the DOC, before the SCR which is before DPF....

The DPF is the FINAL step in the exhaust system to clean it....
Old 02-18-2010, 06:12 PM

Ok. I was mainly talking about big trucks. I dont have any info in these meetings about light duty diesels. It is all medium heavy duty, and they do inject after the dpf in a seperate SCR filter. thanks for clearing it up.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:16 PM

I'd heard it was temperature sensitive...gonna be just f'in wonderful here in the Canadian climate Oh well, more business for the tow truck lol.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to Big K Send a message via MSN to Big K Send a message via Yahoo to Big K
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin95psd View Post
Ok. I was mainly talking about big trucks. I dont have any info in these meetings about light duty diesels. It is all medium heavy duty, and they do inject after the dpf in a seperate SCR filter. thanks for clearing it up.

Please correct your original post then, because this is MISINFORMATION in the 6.7 forum......

I will post more information later about how FORD handles the exhaust on the 6.7.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:48 PM
I don't know nuttin....

If it's misinformation maybe u should correct it so the readers do not get the wrong info.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:12 PM

The 2010 Dodge Ram C&C trucks use SCR/Urea, not the Adsorber system like the pickup trucks. I would not be too surprised to see the pickup's switch switch over for 2011.

As far as what Ford is going to do: http://media.ford.com/images/10031/S...rtreatment.pdf

Attached Thumbnails
UREA EXPLAINATION-scr.jpg  
Old 02-19-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Henry View Post
If it's misinformation maybe u should correct it so the readers do not get the wrong info.
I am writing up an entire article about the new exhaust system and how it works, will post in a few days....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.