Urea Injection releases the beast. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 08:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Urea Injection releases the beast.

I am currently spec-ing out a new Peterbilt 389 for my business. Rushed to beat the new 2011 EPA standards, I was all set to pull the trigger on a 140K truck until I decided to research the new SCR urea injection technology that everyone seems to be afraid of..

The Cummins 550 ISX I have ordered is rumored to increase in price by 10K with the new SCR system, and everybody in the sales business is trashing the new engine because of it's cost, and the urea maintenance involved, hence my scramble to buy a current EGR 550. Last night, I thought I would take a look at what it's all about.
After Googling and reading about the new technology, I think I'm going to wait and buy one of these new engines.

What is happening is this:
In a nutshell, the urea that is injected into the exhaust is incredibly effective in breaking down ALL NOx gasses, and this allows the engine to run on much less power robbing, coolant system taxing EGR.
As we know, EGR substitutes exhaust gasses for oxygen in the combustion chamber. This lowers the available O2 to burn, hence lowering combustion chamber temperatures and lowering power, along with the lowered number of NOx released.
Want to know why your 6.4L is a dog stock? The engine isn't allowed the benefit of oxygen to burn in order to make emissions. It's basically chocked to death. With SCR, we can now turn down the EGR which turns UP the oxygen. This makes for a stronger powerband, more crispness and definitely more power and fuel economy while lowering operating temps. There is basically NO ECM induced regeneration because the extra DPF clogging soot from the EGR isn't produced, and regeneration can be achieved passively. instead of by active means.

Ford is taking credit for reinventing the wheel with the 6.7L, but I submit that the better power and fuel efficency comes directly on achieving emission standards with less EGR that the SCR injection now allows..

The new technology, with all of the inconveniences of filling the urea tank will bring back the old snappy diesels, and I for one am buying in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2009, 08:45 PM

Gonna strap a V-12 Cat into the dump-body of my 550, and hook it to the transfercase input shaft with rubber bands, duct-tape, and velcro. The search for more power never ends.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:32 AM

I agree that urea is going to help more than it could possibly hurt. My Peterbilt dealer told me a year ago that he was looking forward to urea injection so they could run a dirtier tune and have less regeneration. I think it is going to be a good thing, Dodge probably should have jumped on this too, their regen systems are terrible and plug up constantly. I would say the new Duramax and 6.7 are going to have a leg up on Dodge because they will still have the sorry regen system they have always had and the other two will be able to turn up the power to their engines!
Old 01-10-2010, 11:04 AM

And IF the Urea Injection got rid of the EGR...then it might be a good deal. Otherwise its just another system added while keeping everything else. EGR, SCR, DPF, Cat. No wonder these engines are choked to death. I'm waiting for the EPA to demand they have no exhaust pipe at all.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

Old 01-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
George C is absolutly right, the urea injection will allow for less egr and regeneration on times and that in itself will allow for more power and fuel efficient. Plus it makes for a cleaner running engine. I am excited to see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.