2011 F-450 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 11:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kramocramed
2011 F-450

Lately I have been reading around on an information I could find on the new Super Dutys. On almost every forum people are picking apart the new F-450 because it has smaller tires, 4.30 axle, smaller brakes, etc. Basically calling it a Wide Track F-350 Tow Boss Dually and that it is now sissified.

Ford says that it retains the same GCWR of 33,000# from the 2008-2010 model years too.

So my question is this, well more like a gripe. How the hell does anybody know this new F-450 is sissified if no one has driven a damn trailer with it yet, let alone cranked one over and strolled down the road.

To me it seems the Ford engineers are just using better technology to keep the same capacities, but make it more fuel efficient. Seems like the 6.7L and the Torq6 are doing their job. Probably MUCH better engine braking to aid the smaller breaks too.

Last edited by kramocramed; 12-24-2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: icon fix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The PICKUP version of the F450 has the less gear and tire and all that, mostly for mileage I hear...

The CAB & CHASSIS F450 will be the full monty heavy assed truck. Heavier, deeper gears, etc.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I was thinking about this tire size change.....

Wouldn't you loose GVW capacity with the smaller (E rated) tire?

I don't remember what the capacity is on the 19.5 (F rated) tire is but wouldn't this pose a problem if say you are actually using the truck to full capacity and got pulled over by the DOT and they hassled you because you were over weight on your tires.....(it happened to me hauling cars, I was 400 lbs over.... he let me go)
Old 12-26-2009, 12:43 PM

I think the GWV is a bit less on the pickup version..same as with the F350 pickup vs the cab/chassis F350..
Old 12-26-2009, 01:00 PM

they are different
Old 12-28-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramocramed View Post
Lately I have been reading around on an information I could find on the new Super Dutys. On almost every forum people are picking apart the new F-450 because it has smaller tires, 4.30 axle, smaller brakes, etc. Basically calling it a Wide Track F-350 Tow Boss Dually and that it is now sissified.

Ford says that it retains the same GCWR of 33,000# from the 2008-2010 model years too.

So my question is this, well more like a gripe. How the hell does anybody know this new F-450 is sissified if no one has driven a damn trailer with it yet, let alone cranked one over and strolled down the road.

To me it seems the Ford engineers are just using better technology to keep the same capacities, but make it more fuel efficient. Seems like the 6.7L and the Torq6 are doing their job. Probably MUCH better engine braking to aid the smaller breaks too.
The new F-450 will be "sissified". That doesn't mean it won't be able to do what is stated, but it will not be able to handle what the 19.5 tires, brakes, springs or axle can handle. The 450 was re rated from the origional configuration by eliminating the 4.88 gears and giving the same rating as the 4.30 gears. The F250 will probably handle the same load too, just not as well. The only difference between the current 450 pickup and 350 are the things I mentioned earlier. The 450 chassis cab has a beefier frame and springs.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I heard the main reason for going to 17" wheels is for a higher speed rated tire.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:48 PM

Well for one thing going down in wheel/tire size allows you to use higher gears to equal same overall gearing correct? For example 35" tires with 4.88 gears might be close to 32"s with a 4.30.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Buy with confidence

As a a owner of the previous 09 F450 and a owner of the current 11 F450 I will tell you that in every way the new one trumps the previous "civilian" 450. My first was rough as heck and pulled decent but just felt like something was missing. My new one rides like a caddilac with out a load and even better with it. I have had no issues with over loading the tires but i will say the most ive had on it was 28656# but i pulled that from Louisiana to Colorado without a hiccup. I would see no problem with pushing it to its limit confidently. Ford bread til I'm dead.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:34 AM

It will handle what it is rated for. Big tires ride bad and cause poor economy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.