Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

New Consumer Reports says 6.7 Cummins sucks

32K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  countryraised 
#1 ·
Looks like Ford may gain back some customers if this new engine is a success. The 6.7 Cummins has been a nightmare and the new Consumer Reports shows it. My local diesel tech for all of the big three said the Duramax is best mainly cause its been around so long and the 6.4 is close second if you remove all the radiator issues during the 1st year of production. Anyway, he's worked on some 6.7's and is hearing they are having major issues. He loves the big C and says the older 5.9's were about bullet proof. Anyway, guess time will tell.

#2 ·
Looks like Ford may gain back some customers if this new engine is a success. The 6.7 Cummins has been a nightmare and the new Consumer Reports shows it. My local diesel tech for all of the big three said the Duramax is best mainly cause its been around so long and the 6.4 is close second if you remove all the radiator issues during the 1st year of production. Anyway, he's worked on some 6.7's and is hearing they are having major issues. He loves the big C and says the older 5.9's were about bullet proof. Anyway, guess time will tell.
Just to clarify, you mean the Cummins 6.7 not the powerstroke 6.7 right?

#3 ·
Actually it's more of a statement about the new emissions diesels in general. The Cummins has been the more extreme of these failures due to emissions equipment, but what it does is exemplify how horribly wrong it was to put emissions equipment on diesels.
Truth is they don't need it. Diesels burn way cleaner than any gasoline engine, even if there is smoke because guess what the smoke is? Carbon (largely). Carbon that falls back down to Earth and it begins the carbon cycle all over again.

It is not the fault of the manufacturers for these issues, it is the fault of the EPA and other government emissions panels.

#4 ·
Not that i'm on the whole EPA bandwagon but isn't the entire point of all the emissions equipment crap to lower carbon output? And the black smoke is soot...more of a fertilizer right? :dunno:

#5 ·
the emissions on diesels are for sulfur and nitrogen oxides, hence the ULSD fuel mandated now...diesels produce much more nitrogen and sulfur oxides than gassers, and these two pollutants are the major cause of acid rain. at least according to the EPA. but wee all know their track record so far......

#6 ·
thats exactly right. It is the Cummins motor they are talking about but as someone else said its mostly emissions releated as it is with all of the big three. Going to be real interesting to see how the new engines and Urea deal work out. Cummins could have all the bugs worked out this year considering they don't have to change anything on their motors. I sure hope the new Ford 6.7 is a good one though as the 6.4 seems to be turning out pretty good overall. Especially considering it was a brand new motor and included all the major emission changes for 2008. Kinda hate to see its departure so soon. My truck is so smooth and powerful its much better overall than other diesels i've used. Maybe the new one willl be even better.

#8 ·
All I know is everybody I know with a 6.7 Cummins has had heck with the DPF's clogging up! I am positive they don't have it figured out yet, and why are the new 4500's going to have to have urea injection?? I hate all the EPA crap on these new trucks, I can't even beleive the diff. in my 6.4 since I did a DPF delete, night and day!!!!!!!!

#9 ·
Not that i'm on the whole EPA bandwagon but isn't the entire point of all the emissions equipment crap to lower carbon output? And the black smoke is soot...more of a fertilizer right?
The emmissions people who talk about lower carbon output are just too lazy to say what they mean - carbon dioxide. Only way to reduce that, regardless of gas or diesel, is better mileage. In a perfect world all that would come out of the tailpipe would be CO2 and H2O.

#10 ·
yeah but this doesnt suprise anybody who has to deal with the epa on a regular basis... im a water well driller and we went to a jobsite and marked a location to drill a well by simply driving a piece of 2in pipe in the ground.. one of there boneheads drove up and saw the pipe sticking up and called us in saying we didnt call in and finish registering the well before drilling.... idiot!!

#11 · (Edited)

Regarding the 6.7L Cummins; it is NOT the same engine as the upcoming Powerstroke. The Cummins is an inline-6 engine, while the Powerstroke is a V8 design. Just clarifying that for those who might get them confused.

We have Sterling Acterra (Freightliner's "junk" brand) straight trucks with both the 6.7L Cummins ISB and the 8.3L Cummins ISC. Every one of them ('07 to '09 models) has that stupid DPF system to trap the soot; and we've had nothing but problems with all of them. The DPF going into 'regen' mode also has increased the fuel consumption considerably versus the old Internationals (DT466 and DT530 engines) which they replaced.
:dunno:

The Internationals got 7 to 10 miles per gallon, while the DPF-equipped Sterlings get only 6 to 8 miles per gallon -- a huge difference as a percentage. They also spend more time in the shop.
:doh:

Our big rigs seem to do better. We have two Sterling tractors with the Mercedes-Benz diesel (no DPF) and some Freightliner Columbia & Cascadia tractors. One '07 Columbia has a Caterpillar (no DPF) and a leased '09 Cascadia has a Detroit Diesel with the DPF. We have a 2004 International with a Cummins ISM (no DPF, obviously) that is still going strong with well over 400,000 miles on the clock.

I think this DPF stuff is a bunch of crap - whether on a big rig or a pickup truck. Eventually, they will go bad and the truck will pollute much more as it ages; and the decreased fuel economy will hurt the bottom line. I often wonder how we're going to make the environment "cleaner" by burning 15 to 25 percent more diesel fuel in the same size & type of truck. I suppose that is government bureaucratic thinking at its finest!

Bring back the 7.3L!!

#12 ·

Regarding the 6.7L Cummins; it is NOT the same engine as the upcoming Powerstroke. The Cummins is an inline-6 engine, while the Powerstroke is a V8 design. Just clarifying that for those who might get them confused.

We have Sterling Acterra (Freightliner's "junk" brand) straight rucks with both the 6.7L Cummins ISB and the 8.3L Cummins ISC. Every one of them ('07 to '09 models) has that stupid DPF system to trap the soot; and we've had nothing but problems with all of them. The DPF going into 'regen' mode also has increased the fuel consumption considerably versus the old Internationals (DT466 and DT530 engines) which they replaced.

The Internationals got 7 to 10 miles per gallon, while the DPF-equipped Sterlings get only 6 to 8 miles per gallon -- a huge difference as a percentage. They also spend more time in the shop.

Our big rigs seem to do better. We have two Sterling tractors with the Mercedes-Benz diesel (no DPF) and some Freightliner Columbia & Cascadia tractors. One '07 Columbia has a Caterpillar (no DPF) and a leased '09 Cascadia has a Detroit Diesel with the DPF. We have a 2004 International with a Cummins ISM (no DPF, obviously) that is still going strong with well over 400,000 miles on the clock.

I think this DPF stuff is a bunch of crap - whether on a big rig or a pickup truck. Eventually, they will go bad and the truck will pollute much more as it ages; and the decreased fuel economy will hurt the bottom line. I often wonder how we're going to make the environment "cleaner" by burning 15 to 25 percent more diesel fuel in the same size & type of truck. I suppose that is government bureaucratic thinking at its finest!

Bring back the 7.3L!!
That's why I'm keeping my 3406E CAT.

Also, you all need to listen to RoadDog on XM, the Lockridge Report has had many stories concerning big trucks and emissions and also the backlash after a "supposed" professor with a PHD working for CARB, was found to NOT have the PHD he told everyone he had and that several board members of CARB knew this and hid the information.

#13 ·
Anybody that says Cummins Sux,Don't know Crap about Diesels Period!

It's the Exhaust crap thats causen the problems, Not the motor it's self!

Cummins is a Top of the Line Motor Minus the Exhaust Crap!

How often do you Pick up a Magazine and Read we Just Installed this 6.4 in this Chevelle ? You dont!!! Mostly Cummins and Duramax are installed in any Projects ....

I hope this new Motor will change all that for Ford,Cause thats My Next truck!

I have a Question for you Guys running the Bigger diesel motors ???

Why don't they Sleeve the Smaller Pick up truck Blocks?

I read somewhere that With Cummins only the 4500/5500 and up trucks got the Industrial Motors with sleeved Blocks,just wondering why they didn't sleeve all Diesel motors,seems like it would be easier to over haul ???

But then again other than guys Pulling sleds ,How often do you Over haul a Diesel motor as in a Daily driver..... maybe it saved Money and weight ? just Wondering .....

#14 ·
I've always been told a sleeved motors do not transfer heat as well thus normally must be rebuilt sooner than a non-sleeved motor. This was always a big debate in the tractor world. However, the advantage with the sleeved motor is they are easier to rebuild. There may be new technology now that allows just as much cooling for the sleeved motors as non-sleeved allowing them to have the most cooling and easily rebuildable as well.

#19 ·
Dry sleeved engines have poor heat transfer, Wet sleeved, which most diesels are, have better and more even heat transfer because the coolant is in contanct with the sleeve instead of sleeve to block contact.

You can get the 6.7 Cummins in a F-650, the only problems I've heard is from idling, same as any other new truck with all the emissions crap on it.:doh:
This is due to the fact the DPF requires lots of heat to regen and clean out the soot, when running under load this can be done passively because the engine is producing more heat already, when idling there is little to no heat and so the engine has more soot build up and then needs to getheated up before it can clean the DPF. I'm dealing with a lot of this at work on Deere's next tractors.:doh:

#17 · (Edited)
Yea i have read over on the Dodge sites that,the guys that need to let the motors run at night While they rest/Sleep have had Issues with the Exhaust. It's really hurting the Diesel eniges More than the Price of Fuel LOL

I think the only thing they could do to help with the long idles was to enable the High Idle.....

We run the 350 and 400 HP Big cam cummins in the Log handlers I run at work! I Keep my foot in that Thing the whole time i'm running it,as does everybody else,all the Functions are Hydraulic powered ,and air,Those motors get run around the clock 24/7 and i tell ya they run really Good,Most Break downs are hoses Or parts on the machine the motors don't miss a Lick! Only motor work i can think of is a few gasket,hoses,belt Normal stuff...

We had a Durn Detroit in one of them for a While LOL Damn That thing was a Screamer :rofl: I Mean LOUD with dual exhaust.... That Motor Broke a Crank :dunno:

We had one cummins lock up but a dumb A$$ wet the motor down with it hot and Shut off,It had a lot of Hours also,we catch fire ever so often,saw dust builds up on the motor around the Turbo area and catch's fire LOL you have to Pay attention when your running them :nod: if you smell Wood Burning you check it out,I about crapped one night i looked down on the Left side of the machine and all i could see was Fire in the Engine room... I backed it up to the Closest Hose and left it running Washed her down putting out the fire :woot: No Problem all in a nights Work :nod:

IMHO Ford,GMC,and Dodge are making Great motors Right Now! even the 6.4 seems to be jam up now....From all i have read the Three are at a Tie,With Exhaust Being the Main Down fall,GMC got the Exhaust right so they are in the lead if anyone,hopefully this new 6.7 Ford In House Motor :icon_ford: will change that!

#18 ·
Anybody that says Cummins Sux,Don't know Crap about Diesels Period!

It's the Exhaust crap thats causen the problems, Not the motor it's self!

Cummins is a Top of the Line Motor Minus the Exhaust Crap!

How often do you Pick up a Magazine and Read we Just Installed this 6.4 in this Chevelle ? You dont!!! Mostly Cummins and Duramax are installed in any Projects ....

I hope this new Motor will change all that for Ford,Cause thats My Next truck!

I have a Question for you Guys running the Bigger diesel motors ???

Why don't they Sleeve the Smaller Pick up truck Blocks?

I read somewhere that With Cummins only the 4500/5500 and up trucks got the Industrial Motors with sleeved Blocks,just wondering why they didn't sleeve all Diesel motors,seems like it would be easier to over haul ???

But then again other than guys Pulling sleds ,How often do you Over haul a Diesel motor as in a Daily driver..... maybe it saved Money and weight ? just Wondering .....

Agreed !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.