FIRST TEST DRIVE, IMPRESSIONS, AND ADVICE - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FIRST TEST DRIVE, IMPRESSIONS, AND ADVICE

Lone Ranger here in OZ. (Australia)...
I was priveledged to get a Mobile Phone call ($$$$) from Texas, of the Importer of Fords to OZ Rep, on a test drive of the new 6.7.... I was so impressed that I ended up calling him back again to talk more myself, clear as a bell on mobile, out on my horse property in Australia talking to a Bloke driving a 6.7 in Texas.. Wow, technology....

I have decided that I will stay with the 6.4, as 09- and m.y. 10s seem to have all the bugs worked out and it has a good track record. My 09 King Ranch F-450 (Last of the Luxury unit on an F-450 with the big running gear) is in transit and will be DELIVERED TO ME TOMORROW.. Won't sleep well tonight.. Here are the whys to stick with it til 2011.

Anyway, the phone call was sitting in the new 6.7 driving it, and the "nutshell" report is "Heaps more go, really noticeable".... Words to that effect. He was really impressed. I ask him if I made a boo-boo in getting the last of the 6.4 and his feeling talking with the Techies in Texas was NO!!!

Yes I will keep watching, but the advice was to wait for the bugs to be worked out... I will probably end up with he 6.7 and 6 speed, but not until it has been run for 12 months on the road. Yes it does get better fuel economy, his Techies Testing seemed to indicate as much as 25% better overall..... But the answer was, no, I did the right thing. For the amount of extra fuel I will burn, $$ is worth the wait, to get a second generation engine and not have to go through the "Teething Problems"...

Now this may not be true for you Blokes there in America, as the Dealer is around the corner. You may easily be able to get the updates done as they happen. But here in OZ, my Dealer is 2,200 kms away, 10,000 kms by boat from America so much so that for the North I am getting equipped in the complete VCM/IDS (Vehicle Communications Module/ Integrated Diagnostic Scanner) VCM/IDS to plug into a standard laptop...

My advice was wait for a 6.7 til 2011 to update my truck. Sooo, that is why I am getting a crash course in Diagnostics and the gear to do it, to help support the 6.4 trucks here in Oz. Don't let the advice to me necessarily disuade you from buying the new 6.7, it is just do to being on the "Outer Frontier" I am going to be happy and invest in backup for the 6.4s, with Tech Support and a few spare parts...

Over all, the Driver (no names due to politics) was impressed with the feel and sound of the new engine, and the smoothness of shift and acceleration of the 6R140 6 speed. I guess he is the first Australian to drive one...:thumb:

Now, one more thing, to any Old School Diesel Nuts, the new fenders on the 6.7 look like s**t. Compared to the nice sweep of the current body style, the new Dually pictures look like a stuck on sliced doughnut half...
And the word is the 6.4 F-450 is the last of the Luxury Package like King Ranch, with the big running gear. Instead, to save $$ and 600 lbs, they are going to overspec an F-350 The Big Dog gear Dana 110 stuff will only be available Cab Chassis..... (Suits me fine, I would rather build a West Coast Hauler body that have the stuck on doughnut slice fenders.. )

Anyway, that is the report, I am sharing with you from Oz...

lone Ranger, out on the "Last Frontier" with Reining Horses...
Custom Plate REINER goes on my new horse hauler F-450 TOMORROW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 04:04 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
congrats on the new toy!
Old 12-08-2009, 07:36 PM

send us pics of that $130,000 f-450 when you can please
Old 12-08-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammett88 View Post
send us pics of that $130,000 f-450 when you can please
Actually it is about $150,000 Australian, that is about $130k U.S. Just for fun, you can see what is involved in the RHD conversion, new dash, new steering, stripped off front clip and interior to firewall, modifications and all... On the Bushtracker Forum, it is free at Bushtracker Forum :: Index under the Category TIPS ON TOW VEHICLES, and the Topic is INTRODUCING THE NEW FULL IMPORT 09-10 FORD SUPER DUTY RANGE...

There is a Series there, showing the full conversion process to Right Hand Drive, due tomorrow, and I am supposed to sleep tonight?????

It is economies of scale here, there are King Ranches 2007, 2008s that are over (Aus)$110-120K for sale secondhand. You have to add the $10K Shipping, 10K Luxury tax and Import Duty, $10K profit to Dealer, $30K-$40K conversion costs and licensing and legals... It adds up fast on a $50K truck.. But there is nothing else here that will do the job except 200 HP cab over rice grinders with no luxury, no auto, no looks, = No ride...

Mind you, I have seen maybe a six year old full import go for $85K so they do hold their value (rare large towing ability and luxury)... Ya gotta Luv em...

Regards from Oz
Old 12-11-2009, 07:48 AM

Wait so no more f450 king ranch will they still make the 450 in a pickup
Old 12-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Why was your truck $150k?

The conversion to RHD?
Old 12-11-2009, 08:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to Cory S
Bushtracker Forum :: View topic - INTRODUCING THE NEW FULL IMPORT 09-10 FORD SUPER DUTY RANGE
Old 12-11-2009, 08:59 AM

Wow. that thing is impressive. Especially with the RHD conversion! VERY VERY nice!
Old 12-11-2009, 09:05 AM
haters gonna hate 24/7.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Powerstroke Techie

They did a FANTASTIC job on that dashboard. that looks so weird with the shifter right beside the door...I'd almost be afraid it wouldn't clear the door panel!

I'd probably have a nervous breakdown if I jumped in that and everything was on the "wrong" side.

It's funny when guys on the other forum I frequent from OZ post up pictures of their drag cars, and all the electronics and stuff are mounted on the left side of the vehicle, where the steering wheel and junk would normally be on a North American vehicle.

I am very impressed with the quality of the work. How did they swap the dash stuff over? Just cut the sections out of the dash and move them around? Or does it come apart as necessary?

There is NO way I would have the patience to do that job man, no way at all. On the upside though, the EGR cooler removal on that truck would be a little easier, but cab removal might be different. I can't remember offhand, where did they put the master cyl? Did they move the ABS module?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.