Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Flat VS. Tapered Blocks Need Advice

17K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Boudah 
#1 · (Edited)
I purchased some Flat 4" ready lift blocks for my 15 Crew Cab short bed F250, that has a one piece driveshaft, and after installing them the truck seems to have developed a little shudder under acceleration. I crawled under the truck and took a picture and the pinion angle is off some but it doesn't seem like it would be enough to cause that. I also installed some Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/65r20 and I've had those balanced 3 times just to make sure there wasn't an issue with the tires. I talked to readylift about it and they sent me some tapered blocks to put on but I'm afraid it will change my pinion angle to much the other direction. I'm just looking for some advice from anybody that has the same setup and if you have pics that would be great. Did you use flat or tapered? Do you have a shudder?

Thanks in advance.

Here is a look at my pinion angle with the 4" flat blocks from Readylift.
Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Auto part

See less See more
#2 ·
You need to have a flat block. Then just install some carrier bearing spacers.

#6 ·
Then you need the tapered blocks.

#14 ·
One piece drive shaft gets tapered blocks. Drive shafts with carrier bearings get flat blocks.

Skip adding extra leafs or taller blocks. Just get air bags. The ride will be much better towing or not.

#16 ·
So I got the tapered blocks installed today and I like the look of the pinion angle now BUT I'm still getting the same shudder around 60 mph. It didn't help at all so now I'm back to square one. I'm wondering if I have a tire that has a defect from the factory? I've had them balanced 3 times since I purchased them 2 weeks ago and nobody said anything about seeing a defect but idk what else it could be. I'm out of options. If anybody has any advice I'll take it.

This is with the tapered blocks. It looks a lot straighter.

Attachments

#18 ·
So i have a 6.0 250, CCSB w/ 2 peice DS. I added F350 4" blocks and it messed w/ my pinion angle and i now have a shudder on take off. I did this to avoid the expense of bags pulling my camper. I think im going to put the 2" blocks back in and just run w/ airbags instead.

However. PMF Suspensions. has a " driveshaft carrier bearing spacer/angle " kit that could help w/ that. Not on your truck w/ the single axle but maybe the extra angle w/ the flat block on a sngle DS means u need the angled blocks?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.