Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

AC Cycling too often...

903 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  HLBeef 
#1 ·
Long story short, I had my evaporator replaced last month before the heat waves hit, due to the infamous evap failure on 11-12 MY trucks. When it came back, it blew ice cold and smiles for miles. Now, its 106 outside, and the truck seems like it takes a long wile to cool down, even with the fan on high....I can feel the clutch kick in for 20 seconds and then off for 15 seconds, even when going down the freeway where there should be more than sufficient airflow through the condensor. It seems that sometimes itll blow ice cold, other times just faintly cold...I don't understand? I would hate for there to be another freon leak somewhere..I changed the evap and the Schrader valves this year, both leaked.

I always run the truck on high ac fresh air for a few minutes when I first get in to purge the hot air then switch to max ac and stay there indefinitely. Even in max ac, the compressor cycles when its hot both outside and inside. Anyone else's truck behave like this?...This truck has had no ac longer than it's had ac, so I couldn't really compare to what it did last summer. (it went out and I never fixed).

I would figure that if the system is charged correctly the compressor has no reason to cycle off at freeway speeds with sufficient airflow through the condensor (rad stack is clean) and max fan on the evap. Right?...I really don't wanna find out I have another refrigerant leak somewhere...

See less See more
#2 ·
So I just did a trip from Denver to Indy and back in 5 days. Used the AC the entire way and never heard or felt the clutch kick. I never ran mine on high or max AC. It does blow on high when first starting the truck to purge the hot air out when set to auto, but I still don't recall the clutch kick. Mine is still ice cold too.
I haven't touched the AC since I bought the truck and I have the same year as you. Maybe I don't run mine has hard as you, or maybe since mine only gets action in the summer vs your possible year round use you are having an issue.

I agree that if the system was just recharge and it was done properly you shouldn't be having any issue.

#3 ·
Yeah the heat load is brutal in the summer especially when you get into humid east texas down here. I notice on 90* mornings with lower humidity it kicks out cold air like no one's business and when it starts getting in the mid 100s it starts cycling like a high pressure cutout is kicking in or something. Maybe it's just too hot. When it runs, its generally cold and ice cold if its not sweltering outside. I may get it back into the dealer at home to look at it if I ever get back to my hometown with some time. I also have manual controls so its usually full blast max ac in the afternoon driving into the sun.

Mine is used probably 10 months out of the year but that should not affect the performance given the compressor is four years old and the evap is new and the charge is fresh. I think it may just be under/overcharged by just a bit. They did charge the system when it was 70* outside instead of 100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.