Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Is this normal?

987 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  msrockyblue 
#1 ·
So i just got my first def truck
Brand new 1 ton dually

the other day i got in it and it said something like
"exhaust filter full" please drive

So i went for a ride with no luck. Finally after about 30 minutes of rolling around in low gear i got the light to go out. What a pain in the ***

Is this normal has anyone ever seen that?
Ive never had a def truck so I'm unfamiliar
Truck is a 2015 350 dually 6.7 with 28k miles on it now

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
If you don't complete a full regen over several attempts, it will tell you to "drive to clean" and you need to drive until it completes. When that happens, the dpf is pretty much fully plugged and it will take some time to burn it down enough to clear that particular message.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
#3 ·
I'm in the same boat........Learning the DEF system.

There is a bunch of useful information on this site about it. Just read and learn, you will figure out what works best for you. You know the internet, some good, some bad, you just have to learn what works best for you.....JMO

#6 ·
That's where your problems will arise. It's not the DEF that's killing you, it's the DPF. It catches soot and burns it off later. It's a really stupid system. The filter gets plugged on if short trips and city driving. Going on a long trip 15+ miles after engine temp is warmed up is the way to keep the filter clean when it needs to regen. New diesels like to be either driven or sit in the driveway unless it's deleted

Reactions: HeavyAssault
#7 ·
I'm a believer in this thought. I drive mine maybe 3 to 5 miles one way, five days a week. Every Saturday I take it out on the interstate for 30 miles and wring it out. I don't know if this is right or not, but the truck seems to be doing ok.

BTW: You can hold it at 96 all day long, but it won't go 1mph higher.....Don't ask me how I know.:wink:

#8 ·
My speed limiter is removed with my tunes...110 is the quickest I ever wanna go in my truck...scary as hell. The 85 mph speed limit toll way I got down in Texas is sketchy sometimes with a crosswind.

#9 ·
I hit 132, on an empty highway, one evening. Still had more left in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.